The infamous Holy Cross City...

The infamous Holy Cross City...

The infamous Holy Cross City road. This is not the standard approach to Mount of the Holy Cross. It is a route variation that includes a trip through the Seven Sisters Lakes Basin. This Saturday afternoon we saw approximately 25 modified Jeeps and this wacked out Chevy truck lined up down the road, all waiting their turn for the crux of this road. The owners of this truck drove all the way from Gunnison, Co. to drive this road. It's tough for me to understand why.
Kane
on Dec 22, 2002 1:46 pm
Image ID: 15194

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Dec 24, 2002 3:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Holy Cross City Road

My thanks to kaner for the excellent pictures of the road in action. Being a former 4WD enthusiast, I can partially understand the appeal of this activity. It's a challenge of man and his creation-his machine, his Frankenstein monster-against the raw power of whatever nature can throw at them. The Holy Cross road offers this challenge, and routinely wins. Few get out without some sort of expensive damage. Such is the pricey nature of this sport. This road is probably in the top ten toughest roads in the nation, grouped with California's Rubicon, which I suppose Colorado 4WDers can be proud of. I encourage the sport to this day, on ESTABLISHED roads, but I eventually reverted back to my original passion from childhood of hiking and climbing under my own power. I found that overcoming nature's challenge under my own power to be much more rewarding.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1