The Lakes Lookout - Northwest Notch

The Lakes Lookout - Northwest Notch

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.94170°N / 118.2298°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2/3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions on the main page under “Getting There” to reach the Anthony Lake day use parking lot.

Route Description


From the parking lot head east along the south side of the lake on the Anthony Shoreline Trail, 1605. After less than a ¼ mile turn right on the Hoffer Lakes Trail, 1641. Climb this low to moderate grade trail for approximately ½ mile to the lakes. The next step from here is to reach the upper basin at the north foot of the Lees/Angel block. There are different routes to do this. One goes around the east side of upper Hoffer Lake and continues up the lake’s inlet to the small meadow at the foot of the peaks. Some granite around the lake must be negotiated. Another way is to go around the meadow to the right of the lower Hoffer Lake, then cut east across the south end of the meadow to the granite hill the rises south of the lakes. Be prepared to get some wet feet. There is no particular way over the granite mound. Some variable scrambling gets on near the top where the slope is gentle. Continue south to reach the small meadow at the foot of the peaks.

From the pond in the upper meadow go southwest through the talus toward the point where the northwest running ridge connects to the west summit point of The Lakes Lookout. An obvious chute runs from the top of the talus into the bedrock and up to a small notch on the ridgeline. Small trees are visible at the top of the notch. Ascend the chute to the ridgeline and continue down the other side for about 30-40 feet to the well defined Lakes Lookout Trail, 1618. Turn left and follow the trail to the high point formed by the east summit.


Essential Gear


Good hiking boots are all that is required. An ice axe and crampons are recommended for a spring or early summer attempt when snow will be present.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.