The Matterhorn preview

The Matterhorn preview

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Scenery

March 2008

Later this year, I will attempt the Italian Ridge of the Matterhorn. (post script: Didn't make it as the whole mountain was out of condition when we arrived. bad weather for the whole week!)So what better place for this years ski-ing trip than Breuil Cervinia, at the foot of the Italian face? It's really wet my appetite!
Pic Tyndall and MatterhornThe view from our hotel bedroom window.


Matterhorn seen from TheodulpassThis is the view from the Theodulpass. This was the ancient crossing point between Roman Italy and Switzerland. 2,000 year old coins have been found here and there were mediaeval settlements where travellers could rest or get guides for the crossing.


Cervinia sunsetThe highest point of the mountain stays in the sun the longest!


Dent D HerensThe Dent D'Herens. This is a beautiful peak that would undoubtedly attract far more attention were it not so close to the Matterhorn.


Breithorn seen from Klein MatterhornThe Breithorn is one of the peaks we intend aclimatising on


Matterhorn (Il Cervino) skylineThis is the ridge as seen from a position South East of Cervinia. (On ski route Ventina Goillet) The skyline takes in The Dent D'Herens then down to Testa Del Leone and up the Italian Ridge. The right side of the Matterhorn is the Hornli ridge, and right of centre with the snow to it's right is the Furgg Ridge.


The Hornli RidgeThis is often seen as the 'Classic'view of the mountain. The Furgg ridge is on the left and the Hornli ridge goes up from right of centre.The picture is taken from the Hirli ski route on the Swiss side of the mountain.





Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Fred Spicker

Fred Spicker - Mar 11, 2008 8:30 am - Hasn't voted

bottom of page

Take a look at the bottom of the page - at least on my monitor photos overlap

Nigel Lewis

Nigel Lewis - Mar 11, 2008 10:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: bottom of page

Sorry Fred, they don't on mine so I'm not sure how to correct that. Any suggestions?

N

Boriss Andean

Boriss Andean - Mar 11, 2008 10:55 am - Voted 10/10

Re: bottom of page

That happened to me once. Maybe you can delete them and post them again. Great pictures though, congratulations!

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.