The Struggling Bear on Blowout Mountain

The Struggling Bear on Blowout Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 23, 2015
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

The Struggling Bear on Blowout  Mountain

It had been a long since I have been on a hike with my husband EastKing. This is largely due to the fact I have fibromyalgia and do not do well in the recent surge of extreme heat that has hit the Pacific Northwest this summer. I have deteriorated dramatically in terms of any progress with my weight with it now over a very negative milestone and that has been hard to swallow emotionally. I know I have to take more action to do something about it but I know it is going to be hard to find any hiking partners who are patient enough to go and who would be willing to endure my slowness and current physical limitations. I may struggle now I but I soon hope not to struggle as bad in the future.

Blowout Mountain Map
Our Route


BearQueen on the move
BearQueen on the move through the huckleberries!

I was very slow on the hike up this mountain. EastKing could not have picked a better mountain to go up but my fatigue and recent weight gain was making this mountain a real struggle. I could feel the pain from the lack of hiking I have done this year. After all how can a 5 mile, 800 foot elevation gain walk-up with no scrambles be so hard? Despite all the struggles heading up the mountain, I really LOVED this trail. It is so scenic and beautiful. What really made it stand out was all of the thousands and thousands of spruce trees that dot the landscape, making it look like a tranquil wonderland in summer.  It would have been complete if waterfalls were dotting the landscape, but one cannot have everything!  The total hike is high on the ridge so there are not any good water sources on this trail. There were huckleberry bushes all along the trail and they were in season. Eating these huckleberries made EastKing and I take longer going up to this summit and coming back.

BearQueen gets her summit
Hooray!!!

The views on the summit of Blowout Mountain are SO REWARDING. Outside of a couple trees in some spots, the views here were completely panoramic. To the north lied distant view of Stuart, Daniel, and hundreds of mountains that I can only dream about getting to the top of. Rainier was unfortunately covered by clouds but the mountains to the east of Rainier were out and very beautiful. At the very top of the mountain lies an amazing rock to sit on and enjoy the views. Getting to the summit was so WONDERFUL after the summer I have been having and EastKing and I really savored the view from the summit and spent some real quality time together, which we needed.

The summit rock of Blowout Mountain
The summit rock of Blowout Mountain


Mount Stuart from the summit
Mount Stuart from the summit

I personally find the dirt road that is at least seven miles up to being very nerve-wracking.  The initial part of the road has potholes, but then it evens out, but the road gets steeper and curves around the mountain with more exposure. For those of us with vertigo, it is scary at times. The road is in decent shape and is doable with a passenger car but it can be narrow in places which terrified me. Evening sunsets on this road can be dangerous so wait until the sun is below the horizon before taking this road back down. At times we were blinded by the sun on the way back.

Looking east
Looking east

EastKing enjoying the view
EastKing enjoying the view!

I have to say that I really need all of the emotional support and encouragement that I can get from other hikers.  I am now at a dangerous weight and I am the heaviest weight I have ever been that is a culmination of many different things and I am already beating myself up for it. If you read this and want to on some really easy but beautiful hikes, let me know. I am motivated to keep moving and getting outside and have a good list of smaller mountains that I want to do this year. Hopefully I one day will be able to write up a much better adventure in the future.

Looking to the north from the summit
Maybe one day I will stand on some of these summits!!



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Oct 1, 2015 10:27 am - Voted 10/10

Glad you enjoyed the trip

Any kind of walking is wonderful but you simply can't beat the views from a trail in the mountains. good for you, keep it up!

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Oct 1, 2015 12:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Keep at it

Kudos for posting the report/pics and making the effort! Any hike is better than sitting at home and it looks like you got some awesome views.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Oct 1, 2015 1:37 pm - Voted 10/10

More power to you

It's not how fast you move in the mountains, it's more being there and giving it all and you have done both of those.
More power to you Bear Queen.

scramblingbadger

scramblingbadger - Oct 1, 2015 2:13 pm - Voted 10/10

The best things are worth fighting for

It's really great to hear about your hike, especially given the great difficulties you have in accomplishing any hike. My wife especially understands what you are going through. She has multiple sclerosis and each year the disease further diminishes her capabilities. We do like you, and keep a list of hikes that she can handle, depending on how she is doing each day. To help others in our area (the Black Hills), we are almost done developing a Black Hills hiking website geared more for easy-to-intermediate hikes. We hope this will help not only those with MS and other debilitating diseases, but also senior citizens, moms with little kids or anyone else who needs something in their range. It is great to hear your offer to help others with limitations. No good thing is ever accomplished easily. Stay with it and you will be glad you did. Prayers for you Bear Queen.

surgent

surgent - Oct 2, 2015 1:22 pm - Voted 10/10

You really are an inspiration

I hate to use such over-used phrases, but it applies here. My wife, who was a monster hiker in her day, has been felled by arthritis and torticollis in recent years. She longs for the mountains and trails. Seeing that you keep to it, despite the pain, is encouraging.

Jarpup

Jarpup - Oct 2, 2015 10:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Rock on!

Keep it up!!

little black dog

little black dog - Oct 7, 2015 7:13 am - Voted 10/10

great read

All power to yer elbow BearQueen. Keep it up.

Viewing: 1-7 of 7


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Blowout MountainTrip Reports