The Two Towers

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.26370°N / 105.607°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the Longs Peak Trailhead hike up to Chasm Lake.

Route Description


Once at the eastern shores of Chasm Lake look up at Mount Lady Washington. The trick of this route is navigating around the cliff bands. First ascend a scree gully from Chasm Lake up and toward the ridgeline. Your goal is to navigate around the cliff band to your left. Once you've ascended above the cliff band traverse to your left (west).

As you traverse look up for the two towers. Once you see these head up between them. After you have made it up between the towers continue scrambling toward the summit using the path of least resistance.

With good route finding you should be able to keep this at class-3 scrambling. The bottom of the route can be tedious due to the loose scree and talus - thus the route may make a better descent than ascent. If you're going to descend the route make your traverse to the east soon after passing between the two towers. If you wait until you reach the top of the cliff band the traverse is much more difficult.

The best thing about this route is the spectacular view. You can spend the whole time admiring the Diamond, Chasm Lake, The Ships Prow, Lambs Slide, Mills Glacier, The Beaver, etc etc.

Essential Gear


No special gear is needed - just standard kit for hiking in the mountains.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.