The view from Panorama Point...

The view from Panorama Point...

The view from Panorama Point on March 24, 2003. Photo by Alexei.
John
on Mar 30, 2003 11:21 pm
Image ID: 18967

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-9 of 9
rpc

rpc - Apr 3, 2003 10:40 am - Hasn't voted

Camera Type?

John,



Was wondering if your latest series of photos (Rainier tirp - great shots by the way!) was also taken with your Olympus C-3000 digital camera? Have been thinking about switching to a digital unit for some time now (and your latest photos are really pushing me even more strongly in that direction) and have been looking for a suitable one.

Could you give me your thoughts/opinions on the Olympus C-3000 that you've been using? Anything/everything would be greatly appreciated:

Ease of use with one hand?

Durability (can I keep it under my shirt while climbing for example or is it very delicate)?

Battery life (esp. in the cold)?

At the "typical" resolution you've been using for your climbing photos how many shots fit on the "standard" memory card and how big an expanded memory card can you buy for it?

Many thanks for any/all info./recommendations you can offer.

Radek

John

John - Apr 3, 2003 6:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Camera Type?

Radek,



You are right - all the photos that I've posted from my Rainier trip are from my Olympus C-3000 Zoom. The camera deserves most of the credit for the shots, all I do is aim, select whether to use a flash, and push a button ;-) It is an excellent camera and there is certainly a lot to like about it. I've posted some information about this camera and what I like about it in the past but it's probably buried in some message board now. I'll organize my thoughts on this and put it into a gear review to make it easier to find. But right now I'm in a hotel business center and need to get back to my hotel room to rebuild Win2K Server on my laptop for a meeting tomorrow - fun (not!). Look for a detailed response soon!



John

Misha

Misha - Apr 3, 2003 8:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Camera Type?

rpc - if you are interested in digital cameras, this is the site for you - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

I own two digital cameras: Nikon CoolPix 950 and Minolta Dimage 7i.. Both were selected through reviews on the listed site, and both reviews were extremely thorough and accurate. Good luck!

rpc

rpc - Apr 4, 2003 9:54 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Camera Type?

mlog,

thank you for the site info. I'll definitely check it out. Also been looking at the Nikon CoolPix line in addition to the Olympus C 4000 ( the 3000 that John mentions seems to be out of production?).



Have any/all of the photos you have posted been taken with either of the two digitals you mention?

Much thanks again.

Radek

John

John - Apr 4, 2003 9:59 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Camera Type?

I agree. Phil Askey's Digital Photography Review site is an excellent resource and is my primary site for digital cameras, however, it is also nice to get feedback from climbers about how a camera works out in the backcountry, up high, etc. Many of the things that I appreciate about the Oly C-3000 are specific to taking it on trips and are not necessarily covered in Phil's reviews....

rpc

rpc - Apr 4, 2003 10:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Camera Type?

John,



Thank you very much. I'll be looking for a review from you! Don't be so modest -- your photos are excellent and I know that a good camera doesn't hurt but the bulk of a photo's quality comes from having a good eye!!! Thanks.

Radek

Misha

Misha - Apr 4, 2003 10:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Camera Type?

rpc - most of my pictures posted on this site are taken with CoolPix 950 except for the latest ones (for last month) that I took with my new Minolta Dimage 7i. Check my Whitney shots for CoolPix capabilities and colors. I am still figuring out my new camera, so you may want to check back with my profile in a little while for new pics. Quick feedback on Nikon cameras: extremely good photo quality but numerous reliability issues. I had to spend a lot of money for CoolPix repair, and ran into a number of annoying issues mostly related to the camera durability. After reading newsgroups, my problems turned out to be pretty common :(. Hence, it may not be the best choice for climbers/outdoorsmen. So far, my experience with Minolta Dimage 7i has been very good. Camera is built very solid and has lots of features. One downside - its size.. it is closer to professional SLRs, hence it is not super convenient to carry on yourself if you climb strenuous routes. I will be posting review for it on this site in a week or two.

Misha

Misha - Apr 4, 2003 10:27 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Camera Type?

John - fully agree with your last comment. Hence, will be posting reviews for both of my cameras on SP, emphasising their applicability to climbing/outdroor actibvities. Hopefully it helps other folks here to make the best selection.

rpc

rpc - Apr 4, 2003 10:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Camera Type?

John,

how about the reliability/durability of your Olympus camera?

We've been using one of their point-and-shoots (traditional) and it died after about 2 years It had a tough life - lots of time spend banging around my neck or worse yet under my shirt while climbing. But we were so happy with the quality of the photos (for such a small/cheap unit) that we bought another one almost the same (heard that 2 yrs. is reasonable life-time for a point-and-shoot).......however the price tag involved here was on the order of $150. If we're going to spend on the order of $400 - $600 for a digital camera, it would be nice if it lasted at least a little longer than that.

Thanks.

Radek

Viewing: 1-9 of 9