rpcUntitled Comment

rpc

Amazing place.

learn something new from SP every day!
Posted Aug 8, 2003 5:20 pm

naderUntitled Comment

nader

Very nice.
Posted Aug 8, 2003 10:54 pm

MishaUntitled Comment

Misha

Super!
Posted Aug 9, 2003 11:16 pm

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

EXCELLENT! Five stars. The desert southwest is just stunning and you have represented this place magnificently. I have got to visit this place soon. Thanks for making it part of SP. Awesome pics!
Posted Aug 11, 2003 8:56 pm

vertxUntitled Comment

vertx

Very Cool!
Posted Apr 1, 2004 10:41 am

JohnUntitled Comment

John

Excellent. I've been through Wire Pass twice, once to Buckskin Gulch and another time to look for the Wave, I never found it! I might try and get there again now :-)
Posted Apr 2, 2004 12:53 pm

garchovUntitled Comment

garchov

Excellent addition to SP! Thanks for the pics and info.
Posted Nov 4, 2004 2:47 pm

CoraxUntitled Comment

Corax

Beautiful photos from a beautiful area.

Strange place...

Have to go there one day :-)
Posted Nov 6, 2004 7:50 pm

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

First I head of it, quite remarkable.
Posted May 22, 2005 4:33 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Paul, you have timed this one just right. I'll be in utah

over the week of the 4th with the intention of climbing Ellen, Peale, and a bunch of others but this page will make a nice detour from our agenda. Great stuff.
Posted Jun 8, 2005 1:35 pm

KlenkeEver go there in '05?

Klenke

Did you ever get to The Wave last year? I see no pics from you nor a climbing log signed so I'm guessing no. Maybe you weren't able to procure a permit.
Posted Feb 27, 2006 9:42 pm

DeanRe: Ever go there in '05?

Your guess is right. We lacked the time to get there and it is on the agenda for the next trip down there. I can't wait.
Posted Feb 28, 2006 12:18 am

Dmitry PrussThe Notch?

Dmitry Pruss

Anyone has been using the Notch access rather than the usual Wire Pass trail?
Posted Nov 11, 2006 5:02 am

tarolRe: The Notch?

tarol

Haven't been through the Notch but I've been nearby to see some awesome petroglyphs :)
Posted Mar 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Dmitry PrussRe: The Notch?

Dmitry Pruss

Cool! Not sure if I could find the petroglyphs without a better pointer, but I'm sure I'll be there again, will give it a try :) It looks like we almost bumped into one another in Page BTW, I was there on Tue and guess you arrived on Wed.?
Posted Mar 30, 2009 8:17 pm

tarolRe: The Notch?

tarol

I got to Page on Saturday actually, but didn't start trying for permits until Monday.

Ask the folks at the Paria Contact Station for better pointers, they'll give you a map :)
Posted Mar 31, 2009 10:31 am

tarol$7 now

tarol

Permits are now $7 per person and also $7 per dog. If you didn't get a reservation, then you need to go to the Paria Contact Station at 8:30 am the day before you want to hike to the Wave. My sister and I went three days in a row trying to get permits. It's done by lottery, sort of like bingo, if they draw your number you go! The lottery takes place at 9:00 am so getting there by 8:30 to turn in your application is the way to go. The first day we were there there were 63 people there trying to get the 10 daily permits... Needless to say we didn't get one! The 2nd consecutive day you go you get two numbers, thus your odds of getting a permit increase. But the 2nd day we still didn't get a permit, although there were only 34 people there then. But the 3rd time was the charm. That day in addition to the 10 permits there were 6 more that someone who couldn't make it turned in. So with 16 chances x 3 numbers (being the 3rd consecutive day we tried to get permits) and we finally got in :) Wasn't a huge deal for us to have to try 3 times because we're in Page for the whole week and there's plenty of hiking to do besides the Wave in the same area. But if you can get your permits in advance that would definitely be the easier way to go. Pay attention to the timing, the first day you can request a permit do it! If you miss it that day you may miss out on reserving any day that month. So plan ahead as this place is extremely popular... and I'll know tomorrow whether or not it was all worth it :)
Posted Mar 18, 2009 11:10 pm

tarolRe: $7 now

tarol

Yep, it was worth it! The hike is quite sandy, at least a mile of it is really loose sand, a lot of it uphill. The more enjoyable parts are across the slick rock. The BLM gives very good directions to follow. Don't trust all the cairns out there, follow the directions instead. Loved it!
Posted Mar 23, 2009 10:23 am