Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 48.21100°N / 121.6775°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 1999
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring

In the trees

Log crossing after log crossing
Summit Team
This is the Third time I have tried this mountain and I finally made it. It was worth coming back to.The trail does not appear to be a priority here. Parking Pass here at this time did not give us much for our money. We climbed over, under and around so many trees we lost count. Quite a work out. We slept in our vehicles Friday night, and started on the trail at 6:00AM. Several were ahead of us, but we knew snow could be a problem, so someone else kicking steps was ok by us. We discussed taking snoshoes, but abandoned the idea after reading on nwhikers that a large party made it the week before without them. That was good news! The trail in the trees seemed to go rather quickly, getting good views and some blue sky.
Last 50 feet.

Snow!

Looking back.
Ridge very dramatic
Break time
Going up to the glacier.
Mountain Views at last!
The long traverse begins
Climbing in other s boot path.
Snow climb begins
[img:291531:alignleft:small:][img:291530:alignleft:small:]
The snow and previous travelers made it relatively easy going at this point. Up to the ridge..Lone Tree Pass?... over to the west side and a very long traverse that lost considerable elevation that we worked so hard to gain. Then back up to the Glacier. Weather deteriated here, but not impossible, especially since we could follow others boot tracks. I counted about 18 people besides our six, which surprised me. Most turned back so near the summit. Snow was not firm enough for crampons, but not really good for just kicking steps. The summit pitch was steep and steps were not reliable. Just had to be careful and use your ice axe. We were on the summit at 1:30PM. We were happy with that time. One other party took pictures of us...us of them and off we went for a calmer area and a late lunch. Back to cars by 5:30PM and into Darrington for burgers! It was another superb trip into some fantastic mountains with long time friends. No regrets.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
mvs

mvs - May 9, 2007 3:03 am - Voted 10/10

great peak

Whitehorse is an amazing, wild mountain. Great to read about your climb!

Norman

Norman - May 9, 2007 9:53 am - Hasn't voted

Re: great peak

It was a good peak to climb. I see you did the Glacier route! WOW! We tried that a couple of years ago. We climbed the brush and at the time we were reasonably close to the glacier, we felt it was too late in the day to finish the climb, so we bailed. It was very disappointing. Enjoy Germany climbing!

mvs

mvs - May 10, 2007 5:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: great peak

Yeah we actually used the rope on a brushy cliff, though we happily found a sort of game trail through the most "thrashy" stuff. I think we went at an ideal time: maximal snow cover (March), but in cold, clear weather, with a thick crust to avoid avalanche. The route is very exposed to avalanche, we walked over so many avy paths . Thanks about Germany, it is definitely a lot of fun!

JoelSkok

JoelSkok - Mar 16, 2013 10:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Yes, a great peak

Enjoyed your report. The pictures and your captions helped piece it together, further encouragement for me to attept again. Made it to Lone Tree Pass but too late in the day to continue. thanks again, 10/10

Viewing: 1-4 of 4

Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.