Thompson Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 31.63600°N / 108.398°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking spot, start heading west, where you will immediately encounter a drainage ravine. Cross the ravine. Once on the other side of it, continue heading west where you will soon pick up a faint climbers path. For the most part, this path goes all the way to the top. Follow this path as it initially parallels the ravine. The path then enters the ravine, and turns right around Point 7,145' on the topo map. The path then starts climbing northwest up towards a small saddle near Point 7,299'. The saddle is shown here on the topo map. The lower part of the ravine has lots of vegetation, but as the path climbs the vegetation diminishes. Once at the saddle, turn right and start climbing steeply up the slope towards the south ridge. The path here is faint in places, but you will soon pick it up again. Once you reach the crest of the ridge at about 7,800', the terrain moderates. Turn left and start heading north towards the summit. You will soon encounter the steep cliffs on the north and west sides of the mountain. Continue up the moderate south ridge until you reach the summit, where you can enjoy the views.


Hiking Distance: About 5 miles round trip.
Elevation gain: 2,700'.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.