Thunder Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.53756°N / 111.73168°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Now that you've spent all that effort to get to South Thunder, resume the fun and tag North Thunder!  When we were there, the summit had only seen 8 days of ascents in 2016.  2015's last entry was October and 2016's first entry was June.  You're sure to find solitude here!

I'd put this route in the Top 5 [non-technical] scrambles I've ever done.

Getting There

You can take this route in either direction.  Watch your footing.  The east side of the ridge is pretty sheer.

Route Description

Starting from South Thunder:
-Proceed north, picking your way down the talus.  Trending towards hiker's left makes the route easier.  Make sure you look back on the summit of South Thunder when you get a distance away; it's overhanging!
-Cut to hiker's right skirting the south face of the small hump.  Aim for the gendarme.  Once you acquire the ridge, drop over to the north side of Thunder Bowl, dropping about 100' to completely bypass the granite fin.  Begin picking your way back up to the ridge.
-Keep working north, sometimes bushwhacking, sometimes scrambling.
-Some final and brief 4th class sections guard the last 0.25 mile.  Pick your route wisely.  If it's too hard or would require rock climbing gear, you're off route.

To descend from North Thunder:
-Proceed north another 50-100 yards.  Aim for the talus filled bowl and work your way down to the pond below.  This section has brief 3rd class off of the summit ridge and is then class 2 for the remainder.
-After reaching the pond, traverse the meadow to the west aiming for the notch by Bell's Cleaver.
-Descend down the gully towards Upper Bells Reservoir.  Locate the trail and truck it back to the parking lot.  Or stop by the waterfalls on your way down.

Essential Gear

Hiking shoes, preferably with sticky rubber.
Last water is available at Upper Bells Reservoir if doing South Thunder First.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.