Tieton Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Klenke

Klenke - Oct 20, 2006 11:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Gilbert

A nice addition.
You should redo all references of "Mt. Curtis-Gilbert" to "Gilbert Peak" as the latter is the official name (once again).
Also, you should provide a pronunciation for the peak as most people will want to pronounce it similar to Grand Teton. It is pronounced "tie-it-un."

Klenke

Klenke - Oct 21, 2006 2:52 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Gilbert

The 1904 Mount Adams USGS map had "Gilbert Peak" and an elevation of 8,201 ft. Curtis-Gilbert was introduced later but I suspect it was never official. And if you note, the words "Gilbert Peak" appear on the (current) map.

And an interesting note about Gilbert's height per an email exchange with Dr. Roper:
"Lastly, the benchmark atop Gilbert has 8201 stamped on it. Where did the 8184 feet come from? I notice there was one of those pole BMs so ubiquitous in the Goat Rocks (must have seen seven of them incl. one near the crack on Big Horn) about 15 feet lower than the summit rocks just north of the highest point. Perhaps this is the real 8184 point and the summit really is/still is 8201 ft."

Also, thanks for putting the pronunciation up there in the Overview. One small change: put it as "tie-it-un" instead of "tie-it-on." A small textual difference but a large one phonetically.

MattDurkee

MattDurkee - Jun 19, 2014 5:44 pm - Hasn't voted

East Ridge Class 2-3

Nice page!

I would rate the East Ridge route as Class 3 at most. Mostly Class 2. Fairly easy scramble.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jun 19, 2014 10:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: East Ridge Class 2-3

Thanks for the info. Would be great if you could add the route page! Any photos?

Thanks,
Brian

gimpilator

gimpilator - Sep 10, 2015 5:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: East Ridge Class 2-3

I can confirm this rating. Yesterday I ascended the southwest ridge and descended the east ridge. With careful route finding, we did not exceed class 2 on the descent. However, it would be difficult to find the easiest route if ascending the east ridge.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Sep 10, 2015 10:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: East Ridge Class 2-3

Nice, thanks! I am actually headed there tomorrow. Mind if I ask how you ascended up and from what point did you access the SW ridge of Tieton? Any snow lingering on Snowy and Ives? Thanks much.
Brian

gimpilator

gimpilator - Sep 11, 2015 12:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: East Ridge Class 2-3

Sure thing! Check out the map at the bottom of this report I posted. Have you not been up Tieton before?

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Tieton Peak' main page