"Timberline Point" (Peak 11,139) Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
utahjimk

utahjimk - Jul 3, 2017 1:40 pm Date Climbed: Jul 1, 2017

from end FR043  Sucess!

no benchmark found. I could see a large herd of elk on the top (with binoculars) from my campsite at end of FR043. I flushed them as I came into view of the summit. There is no sign of recent human visitation - did find a dilapidated pair of piled rock shelters that could be prehistoric hunting blinds.

Shaylee

Shaylee - Oct 17, 2012 1:06 pm Date Climbed: Oct 7, 2012

Timberline  Sucess!

10-7-2012

Kessler

Kessler - Oct 17, 2012 1:03 pm Date Climbed: Oct 7, 2012

Timberline  Sucess!

10-7-2012

Scott

Scott - Oct 17, 2012 12:43 pm Date Climbed: Oct 7, 2012

Timberline  Sucess!

What a cold morning for early October it was! I recorded a -1F at Hacking Lake! It was the coldest we have ever camped in October. It was cold enough to freeze much of the lake over.

In the morning, Kimberly, Kessler, Shaylee and I did our best to warm up before setting off up the mountain. Originally we were thinking of climbing Leidy Peak, but because it was cold and windy, we decided that Timberline Point would be less so. Besides, I’d never climbed Timberline Point and it is the eastern most peak in the Uinta Mountains that rises above timberline.

It was a bright and sunny day, but not too windy except where the ridge-tops were really open and barren. The spring on the southeast side of Leidy Peak was all frozen over and we walked across the ice.

From there it was a walk along the west ridge of Timberline Point to the summit. Most of it was pretty easy and up and down, but the final saddle before the summit was a bit tedious with deadfall.

We listed to our church conference along the way and spent some time on the peak before heading back the same way. It was a bit cool, but it was a beautiful and sunny fall day.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to '"Timberline Point" (Peak 11,139)' main page