Tolminski Kuk from Razor meadow

Tolminski Kuk from Razor meadow

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.26018°N / 13.75694°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Rating The Tour (By Hiking Standards)

0. General. From 940 m to 2085 m, exposition S and E. All the time marked. On a few places some care and safe step is needed. By the Swiss (SAC) Hiking Scale the rating would be T2. Gear (in dry seasons): Only good shoes and poles.

1. Effort. 1200 m, 4 h 30 min.

2. Power. 1 - no difficulties, only walk-up.

3. Psyche. 2 - easy (some care is needed on a few steep passages).

4. Orientation. 1 - no difficulties (all the time good marked paths). The grading system for hiking and scrambling routes is here.

Overview

This is the usual marked ascent route on Tolminski Kuk from the south-east. In addition to altitude, also quite some distance needs to be overcame. The highlights of the tour are: Razor alpine meadow (still good cuisine there!), magnificent slabs on the southern side of Vrh nad Škrbino, panoramic main ridge and the summit of Tolminski Kuk.

Getting There

Tolminske Ravne
Tolminske Ravne

See the parent page of Tolminski Kuk how to reach Tolminske Ravne village (From Tolmin, via Žabče)!

Route Description

Tolminski Kuk map

The trailhead for Razor meadow is at the house by the road where Slovenian mountaineering association has the Rescuing service info point. Through the gate you go on a nice alpine meadow and cross it northwards. After exiting the meadow on the other side, you find yourself on the crossroads, where the marked path for Razor meadow goes right. The path crosses the dry creek bed and continues on the other side towards the right. There soon the two ascent paths branch. The right one is a long, easy mule track, going far towards the east. The left one goes more directly up in the woods and gains altitude quickly. After good 30 minutes it reaches a rocky barrier and goes around it by a narrow ledge. That part is secured with a steel cable, a bit exposed, but otherwise easy. Soon afterwards we are already on the lower part of Razor meadow and the path crosses it upwards to the big stable and the mountain hut above it. 1 h till here.  

Vrh nad Skrbino slab wall
Vrh nad Škrbino slabs

From Razor meadow several marked paths go. Inscriptions are good and we have no problems finding the path which goes towards the NW, then crosses the meadow and continues towards the west, all the time ascending towards the small plateau behind point 1540 m (Kopecka). The plateau is called Rupe and is covered with dense pine bushes. In the middle of it the path branches. The right branch goes up on Vrh nad Škrbino, while our path is the left one, ascending slowly towards the lower edge of the famous southern slabs of Vrh nad Škrbino. That slab-like wall is really impressive, offering also nice climbs. The marked path goes just below it, ascending towards Škrbina notch, 1910 m.  

Tolminski Kuk, Zeleni vrh and Podrta gora
Crossing the last summits

From Škrbina, our path crosses the southern slopes of Podrta gora and then reaches the main ridge again on the next notch, from which it ascends on top of Zeleni vrh, 2052 m, descends again on the saddle below Tolminski Kuk and finally ascends the highest summit in South Bohinj Range. Zeleni vrh can also be detoured by the southern slopes (not marked). From Razor meadow some 3 h 30 min.

This route can be combined with the route over Kal alpine meadow.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.