Toukbal Circuit, Morocco

Toukbal Circuit, Morocco

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking, Informational, Scenery, Panorama

Intro

We had a great trek going around Mount Toubkal, Morocco's highest mountain (4167m), the second week of November. I couldn't find that much first hand info about it before going so I thought I'd share some here.

We did it in five days, from Imlil, and summited Toubkal on the sixth. We went unguided and took a tent and food as there are no villages on the 2nd and 4th day of the trek, each carrying about 10 kg. We took the LP trekking chapter as a guidebook, and it was quite helpful. Also bought a map at the 'tourist information office' in Imlil, where we also bought gas and rented a stove at the 'Atlas Trekking Equipment' shop.

You can take the bus the first day from Marrakech to Tacheddirt but we walked from Imlil as we had time and wanted to stretch the legs. Second day is a tough hike up the Likemt pass, then down to Azib (seasonal shelter for shepherds) Likemt (camped, -8C at night), day three to Amsouzert village, day four to Azib Imi N'ouassif (camped, -2C at night), day five to Refuge 'Les Mouflons', day six summit Toubkal and down to Aroumd village. Day seven back to Marrakesh. Bargained good at every 'gite' (guesthouse) and taxi we took. Since Ryanair flights English is well spoken next to French by those earning money in tourism. Water was everywhere.

The whole trip went perfect, great weather, no snow on the passes (no need for crampons nor ice-axe), no danger. Going up the passes was quite tough, but on reasonable zigzags. There was nobody else hiking the trail, only saw some shepherds now and then, and it wasn't really marked, but white arrows here and there - painted on rocks - seemed to always indicated the right way. Plenty of people on a windy but sunny Toubkal summit.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Nov 21, 2010 5:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks

... for posting this. I've always been curious about Toubkal, and I have a daughter who wants to meet me in Morocco next year, so you're providing good inspiration.

ncst

ncst - Nov 29, 2010 10:14 am - Hasn't voted

Glad you liked the album,

Regards!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.