Tower Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Kiefer

Kiefer - Aug 5, 2023 3:26 pm Date Climbed: Aug 5, 2023

From Velocity Basin   Sucess!

Comboed with MacComber. Wanted Dome too, but the doggo couldn't handle the distance.

ajberry

ajberry - Jun 27, 2017 10:24 am Date Climbed: Jun 24, 2017

With Tower and Dome  Sucess!

Up Hematite Gulch, on to Macomber, round to Tower, and then the traverse to Dome, involving a drop down into Cataract Basin. N ridge of Dome not as bad as it looks. Down via NE ridge of Dome and out via S Fork Animas trail.

Liba Kopeckova

Liba Kopeckova - Oct 2, 2015 12:42 am Date Climbed: Oct 1, 2015

Nice hike  Sucess!

Nice hike into Hematite Gulch, lake, ascended Macomber Peak and continued onto Tower Mountain. Great views. Completed the horseshoe shaped ridge and descended the northern side (great vies into Cataract Gulch and Dome Mountain). Peaceful solitude.

chicagotransplant

chicagotransplant - May 29, 2012 1:43 am Date Climbed: May 27, 2012

Eureka Basin Tour  Sucess!

Camped in Eureka Gulch, followed the south fork of the Animas to Dome Mtn's north ridge, then over to Tower, East Storm, Proposal, Emery and Bonita before following the Eureka road and some bushwhacking back to our camp. Long loop, but a rewarding day!

shknbke

shknbke - May 28, 2009 9:36 am Date Climbed: May 22, 2009

Hematite Gulch  Sucess!

Nasty spring day, but at least the winds were down. Climbed tower from Macomber and then over to Dome. Visibility was about 100 feet on the summit. Don't descend Cataract Gulch! If you do, stay high on the west side of the drainage.

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - May 26, 2009 5:06 pm Date Climbed: May 22, 2009

Via Hematite Gulch  Sucess!

Hiked up the steep and efficient trail to Hematite Lake and then gained the east ridge of Macomber Peak. From there it was an easy hike to the summit of Tower Mountain. Nasty weather - rain & snow.

wbass

wbass - Jun 1, 2004 10:55 am

Route Climbed: Hematite Gulch Date Climbed: May 30, 2004

Thoroughly enjoyable hike with fantastic views and nary another human (in dramatic contrast to the “highway” down below). There was a decent amount of snow in the area just below the Hematite Lake basin, so route finding was slow and at times difficult (off route), but above the frozen lake, much easier hiking on snow-packed scree. As it was getting late, we turned around high up on the south slope on a long, faint switchback (approx. 12,620'). Look forward to making it back some day.

nader

nader - Jul 25, 2003 5:24 pm

Route Climbed: Hematite Gulch Date Climbed: July 9, 2002

A lot of vertical but the trail made it much easier. Some of the best views of the Red Mountains. Not a single person all day long.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Tower Mountain' main page