Trapdike, December 2014

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.13023°N / 73.96307°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Dec 20, 2014
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall, Winter

Trapdike, December 2014

Two friends and I climbed the Trapdike on Mt Colden in the Adirondacks on Dec 20, 2014

undefined
trapdike, mt colden, adirondacks


The Adirondacks received a lot of snow this past December, so on December 20 the Trapdike was much more of a snow climb than an ice climb. In fact, at several points I was swinging my ice tools through a few inches of snow and into rock. And on the slab we found ourselves similarly having nothing under the snow to stick our crampons into.

Because of all snow, the gully part of the climb was easy at first. The 3 of us roped up together with a 60-meter rope, and Josh put in a few anchors and ice screws at the most tricky and exposed points.  All 3 of us used 2 ice tools, although for much of the climb I gripped onto the top and used the handle like a mountaineering ice ax.

undefined
trapdike, mt colden, adirondacks


Once we got up to the final waterfall you could see that there was a lot more ice and the climbing was steeper.  We decided to belay each other on this one pitch, for which we needed the full 60-meters of rope. Josh has by far the most experience ice climbing, so he led the pitch.  Jacquie and I followed.  

undefined
trapdike, above the final waterfall


We then moved straight forward, moving as far up the gully as we could to avoid the steeper slab sections. 

undefined
trapdike, mt colden, adirondacks


undefined
trapdike, mt colden, adirondacks


When we finally reached trees at the top of the gully, there was a clear slab to the right.  You can see in the google maps satellite exactly where we went.

The slab itself was a bit difficult because there wasn't hardly any ice below the snow to dig your crampons into. There was a few inches of snow, but often it felt like we were walking on rock with crampons. And because of the nature of the slab, there is a lot of exposure and nothing to stop you from sliding down if you fell.  We kept to the far right where there was more snow and better traction.  

undefined
trapdike, slab

undefined
trapdike, slab

undefined
trapdike, slab


Near the top the slab got even more steep, so we decided to move right into the trees for the final few hundred feet and bushwack to the peak of Colden.

undefined
trapdike, near peak of Colden


undefined
mt colden peak


Map of our track: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zXWx04kowivw.kTlSsO2nwoFE  (gpx tracks are available at the top of the page, and on my site below)



Comments

No comments posted yet.