Treasure Gulch Loop

Overview

Gentle off-trail conditionsGentle off-trail conditions


This easy-going loop route combines off-trail hiking through grass with leveraging dirt roads (both active and decommissioned). It’s a gentle hike that requires nothing more than a descent fitness level plus solid navigation skills and tools. Thought this would likely make a fine snowshoe, in the summer the wildflowers are fabulous! This nice loop route provides the benefit of new scenery coming and going.

Roundtrip Distance: 7 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,300 feet
YDS Rating: Class 1+

A special shout-out is due to Isabelle, the Queen of the Wet Mountains, for sharing this route with me. Isabelle, you are like a human GPS in these hills, and your love of southern Colorado shines through every time I'm in the mountains with you. Thank you for sharing your passion!

Getting There

Shooting StarShooting Star
Wild Iris in AspenWild Iris in Aspen


From Pueblo, Colorado

 Take CO 78 west toward Buelah, Colorado for roughly 26 miles
 Continue on CO 78 to the junction of CO 165.
 Head north on CO 165 to the big hairpin turn at Fairview.
 Head west on Ophir Creek Road (#360) (graded dirt).
 Follow Ohpir Creek Road for about 9 miles to a sharp hairpin turn where the road wraps back sharply upon itself to the southeast.
 Park in a small pullout where Treasure Gulch meets the road.

Route Description

Weather stationWeather station
Comforting noticeComforting notice


 Leave parking and head up Treasure Gulch (now blocked to vehicular traffic).
 Ascend the gulch to the northwest, following the old roadbed / streambed, for about .4 mile.
 Here you will encounter switchbacks up the southeast aspect of Deer Peak. Head off-trail or attempt to follow the roadbed if preferred.
 Continue trending northeast to the summit plateau, then search for the highest rock pile among the towers.
 To descend, depart the summit and descend from the summit plateau almost due south to gain FS 401.
 Follow FS 41 to the high saddle road junction where Ophir Gulch Road, Gardner Road, FS 401 and FS 308 all converge.
 Follow Ophir Gulch Road (#360) back to your vehicle.
 Alternate descent: Roughly midway down your descent of FS 401 from the summit, bushwhack through dense timber directly to your vehicle to reduce mileage (but increase the difficulty of your footing and your navigation).

Deer Peak summit areaDeer Peak summit area
Across a south-side meadowAcross a south-side meadow
Descending southern slopesDescending southern slopes
Approaching FS 401Approaching FS 401

Essential Gear

Nearing the summitNearing the summit


 Outerwear appropriate to the season
 Map, compass & GPS
 Colorado Gazetteer for road navigation


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Deer PeakRoutes