Viewing: 1-20 of 29 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

37.289ºN-105.164ºW

here is the latitude and longi†ude to get you started.

Its about 14 miles north of Culebra Pk.
Posted Nov 29, 2004 7:39 pm

billokcUntitled Comment

billokc

Thanks, I got it!!
Posted Nov 30, 2004 1:43 am

billokcUntitled Comment

billokc

Thanks for the vote of confidence. This will probably be a work in progress for the next couple of weeks.
Posted Nov 30, 2004 1:41 am

The Lower MarmotUntitled Comment

The Lower Marmot

You've already done a great job on this page. Keep working, and it will be quite excellent. Thanks for coming to the rescue!
Posted Nov 30, 2004 9:32 am

billokcUntitled Comment

billokc

Thanks for your support of my effort on this page. I appreciate it.
Posted Dec 6, 2004 10:54 am

GumpieUntitled Comment

Gumpie

Great information on the mountain. I spend a day skiing on Memorial Day Weekend '04. Breathtaking views in all directions. I bet in the summer it's more crowded up there, I only met a group of bighornsheeps that day and a couple birds - beautyful day.

Edit: splelling
Posted Nov 30, 2004 7:44 pm

billokcUntitled Comment

billokc

Skiing on Trinchera?? Really?!?! If the road wasn't melted off yet, I'll bet that was some work just getting up there. Summer up there is great. The few times I've been there, including twice (Aug 84 & July 89) when I spent the night just below the abandoned mine, there were no crowds; pretty much had the peak to myself. Being up there at night and for sunrise is the best!
Posted Dec 1, 2004 6:53 pm

GumpieUntitled Comment

Gumpie

Trincherea is a nice mountain for ski touring. If you start at the fork on Blue Lake CG it's about 3 hours to the peak. I do not know how snow conditions are in the winter, I heard that it's often windblown, but in spring when the road to the campgrounds is open it's just perfect. Last time I parked the car 'bout 300' behind the fork. The road was blocked right there with a huge snow bank. Snow coverage continous from here up to the peak. (see trip reports)
Posted Dec 2, 2004 10:15 am

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Bill-Thanks for saving this mountain from obscurity. I have hopefully enacted efforts to get the page rating corrected in the near future. Hang in there and be patient.
Posted Dec 1, 2004 7:20 pm

billokcUntitled Comment

billokc

Hey, no problem. I've had a personal love for Trinchera for many years, and now feel even closer to it since doing the page. Just wish I had more pics to add to the info.

I can't believe that over the years no one else has had near the interest in the peak that I've had (or so it seems). I don't know why I'm so fascinated with it (or the West Spanish Peak for that matter).
Posted Dec 1, 2004 7:52 pm

billokcUntitled Comment

billokc

Hey Alan. Thanks for your vote on the Trinchera Peak page, I really appreciate it.

Bill
Posted Dec 6, 2004 10:56 am

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Good job revamping this page. I liked the view of Trinchera from West Spanish Peak but I have never even set foot in its vicinity...

Jon
Posted Dec 14, 2004 8:28 pm

billokcUntitled Comment

billokc

Thanks for the compliment Jon.

It always seems easier to head for the West Spanish Peak instead of Trinchera because it's easier and faster to get to.

The thing about Trinchera is if you're not 4-wheeling it up, then you gotta prepare for the long hike--and it's ALL up!!

In the summer it's a beautiful place to hang out around even if you don't do the summit. When in the base of the 'trench' or at the mine, it almost feels like being in a balcony looking east.

Bill
Posted Dec 15, 2004 7:45 pm

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

Excellent mountain. Nice to see it in good hands.
Posted Dec 14, 2004 11:20 pm

billokcUntitled Comment

billokc

Thanks for the compliment.
Posted Dec 15, 2004 7:32 pm

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

Agreed, thanks for rescuing this page, Bill!.

I saw this news tip this week: Forbes Trinchera Ranch donates conservation easement. I don't believe it provides access to Trinchera from the west, but it might be worth adding to the links section?
Posted Dec 15, 2004 1:23 pm

billokcUntitled Comment

billokc

Ryan,

Thanks for the vote and the newspaper link. After reading it I agree with you that there most likely won't be access to the peak from the west side, which is a shame.

Re: photos.....I wasn't sure how some of those would/wouldn't be appreciated when I posted them, particularly the truck shots. I was merely trying to allow others to see that I DID spend the night there. I did delete a few of them though.

I posted the old mine shack shots because I thought others who may not have ever seen what was there would be curious about it. They're all dated, and I have seen a shot from some university website in which a geology group visited there in (I believe) 2003. The shack is now gone, although the air compressor unit is still there.

Even though it has very little to do with climbing/hiking, I would like to create a section about the mountain mine history. However, doing a Google search has turned up virtually nothing about it. I did hear there is a woman somewhere in Huerfano County who keeps historical records about such things, but I have no leads to get in touch with her.

Bill
Posted Dec 15, 2004 7:29 pm

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

I like the mine shots! I just thought there might be too many of them, that's all. Do you live near Trinchera? I thought I read in one of your captions that you've climbed the peak 5 times?
Posted Dec 15, 2004 7:40 pm

billokcUntitled Comment

billokc

I live in Oklahoma City. I've been on Trinchera summit twice. I've been on Wheeler Peak, NM five times.

All the mine photos are from 1978.....1984.....and 1989.
Posted Dec 15, 2004 7:49 pm

Larry VUntitled Comment

Larry V

Nice page. Useful information, thanks.
Posted Mar 13, 2005 10:27 pm