Hitting the highpoint of Indiana

Hitting the highpoint of Indiana

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.00040°N / 84.8504°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 14, 2001
This was my third highpoint in three days. I had just done Harney Peak in South Dakota and then Hawkeye Point in Iowa.

I realized that I could go south through Illinois, hit I-74, and switch to I-70 in Indianapolis, thus hitting another midwest highpoint, I would never bother to visit again. The night before, I stayed in a hotel about 20 miles west of Richmond Indiana. The next morning I got up and drove out to Richmond on I-70. I then took route 227 North up to Franklin Township. It is referred to by locals as a "rollercoaster" due to the frequent dips on the road. The road gains elevation until I got to Franklin Township. There was a small church, and some houses along the way. I took a left on Bethel Road and followed it for about a mile, and then I took a right on Elliot Road, and went up about a third of a mile. There...(unmarked)...was a tiny trail. There is now a sign, and the area has been developed.

I met a very nice couple who claimed to own the land. They showed me the sign and took a picture of me. The only difficulty was in signing the registry book due to harassment from mosquitos. I like the pleasant nature of this area, with rolling, hilly roads, and corn fields. It is very peaceful and serene. Unlike Hawkeye Point in Iowa, Hoosier Hill is in the woods, and the town and the highpoint itself is reminiscent of the movie "Hoosiers." The best time to visit is in the fall or early winter.

This is the trailhead on Cart...My old car rests at the base of the Jagged West Face of Hoosier Hill.





Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
crussellbowden

crussellbowden - Mar 22, 2015 9:30 pm - Voted 9/10

Well done

For a highpoint with very little to note, your TR was a nice summation of it in all its pleasant realism.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hoosier HillTrip Reports