A Bit of Chaos Never Hurt Anybody

A Bit of Chaos Never Hurt Anybody

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.30310°N / 105.686°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 15, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
   Two consecutive weekends - two bluebird days and two ascents of Flattop Mountain. This time however we ascended a relatively obscure couloir on Hallett Peak's southeast face named Chaos Couloir (at least that's what we think it's called), then over the top of Hallett Peak, and on to Flattop. The couloir was nice, though the snow was pretty soft and sticky causing us pretty bad balling issues. The hike up and over Hallett was surprisingly pleasant and we even ran into a large Bighorn Sheep ram along the way. This was the first time I'd been to the top of Hallett. The death march back to the car down the standard Flattop trail was uneventful. With such spectacular weather we took our time and didn't try to set any speed records. Thus our car-to-car time was a leisurely 11 hours. As always, the traditional after-climb fish burrito and margarita at Ed's were excellent.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Nelson

Nelson - Apr 17, 2007 2:44 pm - Voted 10/10

Speed records

With such spectacular weather we took our time and didn't try to set any speed records.

Shouldn't that read: "With a certain SP member along, any hope for a speed record was thwarted." :)

Nice job on the movie footage!

Andy

Andy - Apr 17, 2007 3:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Speed records

If I recall, it was *YOU* setting the blistering pace up the couloir!

mauri pelto

mauri pelto - Apr 22, 2007 8:03 am - Hasn't voted

Nice show

The cornices and the mountain goat were great. Good soundtrack. That was pitiful snow for 11/30.

Dan Dalton

Dan Dalton - Apr 24, 2007 11:08 am - Voted 10/10

As always Andy,,,

well composed video and great selection of music! Good job, looks like a lot of fun. We have to get out some time soon! Maybe Bell Cord some time?

Dan

Andy

Andy - Apr 24, 2007 11:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: As always Andy,,,

You're always invited. The snow is going to melt, but the rock will be there all summer...

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hallett PeakTrip Reports