Dolomite Peak 3 & 4 Scramble route TR, Banff

Dolomite Peak 3 & 4 Scramble route TR, Banff

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 51.67500°N / 116.3723°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 30, 0000
Seasons Season: Summer

Approach

Trip is 1100 m day and is rated difficult in Kane guide book. Class 3/4 scrambling on very rotten loose rock.

Approach by the good hiking trail which starts on the north side of where Helen Creek crosses the highway. The trail goes up over a ridge and then back down along the left side of the creek. Follow the trail which crosses the creek until you reach the fourth avalanche path. This leads up to a gully between peak 3 and 4.
Note on Dow's route page he went up the second avalanche path and went up the gully between peak 4 and 5.

Dolomite Peaks 1-5



closeup of ascent gully. We used the ridge on left of gully to descend on scree and then dropped back into gully at treeline.

Ascent gully between peaks 3 and 4




Route description

Trip is 1100 m day and is rated difficult in Kane guide book. Class 3/4 scrambling on very rotten loose rock.

Ascend the rock gully between peaks 3 and 4 and when gully splits take the RH branch.

base of gully



Go up to base of yellow layers and follow ledges right around buttress under yellow rock to cairn and then up a hidden gully/groove to summit of peak 4.

Peak four from near base of 3



To ascend peak 3 - go along base of peak 3 past first chimney to a second one which can be scrambled.

Peak 3 from 4



Looking down on peak 2 which is a climb.

Dolomite Peak 2 from peak 3



Looking South at peak 5 and Mount Hector.

Peak 5 and Hector in distance from top of 4


Looking North at Cirque Peak with the Lyalls, White Pyramid, Chephren, etc.

Lyalls, Howse, White Pyramid, chephen, cirque, observation



More pics at https://billkerr.zenfolio.com/p208037199

Gear

Standard scrambling gear. Rope not usefull and even dangerous as rock is rotten and very loose.



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Dolomite PeaksTrip Reports