Eagle Lake Ice – Wild Basin (RMNP) – 4/17/2010

Eagle Lake Ice – Wild Basin (RMNP) – 4/17/2010

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Apr 17, 2010
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Ice Climbing, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring

Prologue

STATS:

Friday Night: Approach to camp: 4.5 miles and 1600 vertical feet gained from Wild Basin trailhead. Headed up towards Ouzel falls and continued along the thunder lake trail.
Saturday: Approach to Ice Base: 800 vertical feet gained to first ice fall (WI 3–4) + 200 vertical feet to the second falls (WI 3–4) – Joe’s Route Page on Mountain Project - http://www.mountainproject.com/v/colorado/co_ice__mixed/rmnp__mixedice/106736045
Sunday: Ski out


Joe wanted to head up for a weekend to get some sled dragging practice in for Denali and I jumped on the bandwagon although I know little about ice climbing and even less about handling the cold. There’s always plenty to learn and plenty of perspective to be had from such an endeavor though… (Regular life doesn’t seem so hard after a trip like this!).

Approach

The plan was to pack in to a camp spot on the banks of N. St. Vrain Creek on Friday night and head up to Eagle Lake on Saturday where we’d scope out some ice and possibly ski down. Approach to camp plotted by Joe…

ApproachThe Approach (c) Joe


At ~5:30PM Joe set out dragging Lou Dawson’s sled loaded with ~80lbs of camping / climbing gear. I followed so I could help carry it across dry patches of which there were many in the first half hour or so of hiking.

006Dragging the sled


We reached our campsite near the creek at about 8:30PM and were soon set up and had dinner ready… word of advice… when you approach Mt. House - “Mexican Style Beef” taco wraps at the food aisle at REI, keep walking and pick up some Buffalo Chicken instead.

011Mt. House Buffalo Chicken taco wrap - Good $h!t


We went to bed at around 11PM with a plan to start early.

The Ice

We woke up at 6:40AM and went back into our bags for a few more winks. Our shameless asses finally rolled out of the tent at 8:30AM, ate and set out up the creek at around 9:30AM. Approach to Eagle Lake from camp…

Eagle LakeApproach to Eagle Lake (c) Joe


8060Starting up N. St. Vrain Creek (c) Joe


The creek was covered by collapsing snow and frail snow bridges… crevasse simulation. However, we made our way safely up the creek and angled left up a valley, following a stream fed by Eagle Lake.

8068Approaching Eagle Lake (c) Joe


As we approached tree line at Eagle Lake old man wind picked up his stinky britches and rushed headlong at us tripping over his obscenely long beard with fair regularity. His shenanigans obscure the view of Eagles’ Beak in the following picture.

8081Eagle Lake (c) Joe


The first ice flows (http://www.mountainproject.com/v/colorado/co_ice__mixed/rmnp__mixedice/106736057) showed themselves. I wanted to call these something lame like the ‘Eagle’s Talons’ but Joe prefers to call it Lower Eagle Lake Ice.

014Lower Eagle Lake Ice


Joe led a few different laps up the lower flow and I followed and cleaned.

019Leading the Lower Flow 1


020Leading the Lower Flow 2


8138Following the Lower Flow 1 (c) Joe


We walked across the top of the flow and down an adjacent couloir back down to the base…

8147Walkoff (c) Joe


The weather was patchy on ensuing pitches… gusts of wind came in and out… apart from the annoying wind, the climbing was a blast. The sun stayed hidden. Temps weren’t too low, but clothes didn’t stay dry either so that didn’t help much. Joe leads another lap… see the sun?

045Leading the Lower Flow 3


And I followed…

8157Following the Lower Flow 2 (c) Joe


Looking up the walk off at Joe…

052Walkoff


The second upper flow (Eagle’s Wing) was the next stop…

8254Eagle's Wing 1 (c) Joe


The avy terrain one has to traverse to get to its base (along with the super long approach of course) in mid-winter serve as a fine chastity belt for this virgin flow.

8239Eagle's Wing Approach (c) Joe


On this day we traversed ice coated with an inch or two of fresh… a little spicy from time to time. We parked at the base and Joe took off up the flow…

057Eagle's Wing Lead 1


059Eagle's Wing Lead 2


The ice was fat and made for good climbing.

8276Eagle's Wing Follow (c) Joe


8287Eagle's Wing 2 (c) Joe

The Descent

The skiing was better…

8292Ski 1 (c) Joe


8297Ski 2 (c) Joe


The weather which had eased up briefly came back with a vengeance and we scrammed… The descent through slushy snow in the trees was painful with gaping holes in the snow covered creek threatening to swallow us any minute. Thoughts of food and warm sleeping bags eased the pain some…

8306Minefields over N. St. Vrain Creek (c) Joe


We slept soundly and packed out. The sled misbehaved and exposed its hindquarters every time an unassuming hiker passed us on the way up, but we managed to get out in a decent amount of time. There were a few hundred yards of carrying to be done but we got it done and headed off to civilization in the form of Chipotle. There was no beta to be found on these flows prior to our trip… if anyone knows of prior posted beta please let us know. Thanks.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
doumall

doumall - May 2, 2010 11:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Watch out for People!

"As we approached tree line at Eagle Lake old man wind picked up his stinky britches and rushed headlong at us tripping over his obscenely long beard with fair regularity."

Typical PManley bullstink. Nice report man

Kane

Kane - May 3, 2010 8:52 pm - Voted 10/10

All I can say is Wow

Man... that's a lot of work to get back in there for some remote ice. Impressive.

Roam Around - May 10, 2010 2:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Nice TR - way to get after it.

T Mac

T Mac - May 11, 2010 6:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Wow!

Thanks for giving me something good for the end of the work day.

kamil

kamil - May 15, 2010 8:36 pm - Voted 10/10

nice report

Great effort to get there and climb some ice! I like your light-hearted and fun narrative.
"(...) serve as a fine chastity belt for this virgin flow" - I'm gonna borrow this line for my future TR's about some virgin peaks I have on my mind - quoting you of course :)
cheers,
kamil

maverick

maverick - May 19, 2010 10:36 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks for reading...

:)), yeah that was a lot of work for ice... I was more interested in the camaraderie and the skiing. Kamil, thanks for the kind words.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6