Tyro Rumpus

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.69560°N / 98.6659°W
Additional Information Route Type: Technical Rock Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.8
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the picnic area, hike past the rock cabin southeast on a well-used trail. A hundred yard or so past the cabin, the trail climbs a rocky hill. Turn right at the top of the hill and head southwest. The trail will circle around toward the creek and enter the woods. After a hundred yards or so, the trail will leave the woods and cross the creek. After the crossing, climb a slight grade to the top of the ridge where you will be able to see Wizard Wall on the left and great views down the canyon. The trail drops down the right side and crosses the creek again. Follow the creek past Zoo wall which will be high and on your right. Contine following the creek past Lichen wall (on the right) which rises directly out of the creek water about 200 yards past Zoo wall. Immediately after Lichen Wall, you will arrive at Panther Canyon. Go left (east) into Panther Canyon, staying on the left (north) bank. Rumpus Wall will be the first large cliff formation on the left after about 100 yards.


Route Description


Follow a thin crack to a bolt and a ledge. Some also start the route a little to the right, skipping the bolt, and using large cams for protection. Head directly up the wall, eventually veering to the left and aiming towards the tree on the top of the cliff. Avoid the chossy cracks to the right on the upper section. Anchors and chains are at the top. 120 ft.

Essential Gear


Two 50 or 60 meter ropes (if top-roping). Various sizes of cams including a #3 and #4; set of stoppers, and a few runners; biners and slings for the anchors. If top-roping, please do not TR directly from the anchor chains. Use biners and slings instead.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.