Viewing: 1-20 of 44 « PREV 1 2 3 NEXT »

Mark DoironRe: Interesting!

Mark Doiron

Hi, Lolli! I've been making links from the 2nd and 3rd columns--one for the national park service, the other for anything SP might have (some are really not appropriate for SP, though, so we won't have any links). However, that said, there are folks who attempt the national parks high points. That would probably be laughable on SP, considering the Everglades, Dry Tortugas, etc. However, I'm going to include a link that might make it less laughable: Gerry Roach is a NP highpointer. If that name doesn't ring a bell, he wrote Colorado Fourteners and is on contract to write a book for the National Park highpoints. Thanks for looking! --mark d.
Posted Jan 1, 2007 3:24 pm

Mark DoironRe: Interesting!

Mark Doiron

Cool!
Posted Jan 1, 2007 3:46 pm

Mark DoironRe: Interesting!

Mark Doiron

Cool!
Posted Apr 22, 2007 5:48 pm

Aaron JohnsonGreat Idea!

Aaron Johnson

Nice way to keep tabs on where SP needs to be in representing the Parks! Good thinking!
Posted Jan 1, 2007 5:49 pm

Mark DoironRe: Great Idea!

Mark Doiron

Thanks, Aaron! I don't think all national parks need a page (Cuyahoga Valley comes to mind), but I do see a few places that probably should have one. --mark d.
Posted Jan 1, 2007 6:46 pm

Bob SihlerExcellent resource

Bob Sihler

Mark, I've been to almost every Lower 48 national park (Hot Springs, Channel Islands, and Isle Royale are the exceptions). If you ever want any info about places to see and how to avoid crowds, feel free to ask.

Bob
Posted Jan 1, 2007 11:08 pm

Mark DoironRe: Excellent resource

Mark Doiron

Thanks, Bob! Do you want me to add a column for you? I could just place X's, or if you have year or month/year I could place that. I think it's a neat goal, especially since, for me, it gives me great quality time with my son. :-) --mark d.
Posted Jan 1, 2007 11:27 pm

Bob SihlerRe: Excellent resource

Bob Sihler

For now, no, but thank you for asking-- it is your page, after all. But as my son (now 2) and daughter (due in a few weeks) get older and we go to these places together, maybe I will ask. So far, Jack (my son) has been to Shenandoah, three of the Utah parks (Bryce, Zion, and Capitol Reef), and all the parks in the Rockies except Black Canyon. I think his favorite was Great Sand Dunes, where he had a good old time eating sand, or Mammoth Hot Springs in Yellowstone, where he ran up and down the boardwalks and stairs each night after dinner.

Bob
Posted Jan 2, 2007 12:11 am

Bob SihlerRe: Excellent resource

Bob Sihler

When you're a parent, you quickly abandon principles and settle for your child's eating ANYTHING!
Posted Apr 14, 2007 4:29 pm

desainmeNIce

desainme

I've only been to Acadia, Badlands, Grand Teton, Rocky Mtn, Smoky Mtn and Yellowstone so far.
Posted Jan 2, 2007 12:49 pm

Mark DoironRe: NIce

Mark Doiron

There certainly are some really nice ones. Thanks for looking, Desainme. --mark d.
Posted Jan 2, 2007 1:33 pm

TLPcool

TLP

Yeah I want to go to all the National Parks too! Thanks for making a page here on summitpost. I've been to Great Smokey Mountains, Guadalupe Mountains, Carlsbad Caverns, Isle Royale, Voyageurs, and Shenandoah. I especially want to go to all the Alaskan ones. Gates of the Artic would be my dream one. Next year I'm going to Acadia.
Posted Jan 2, 2007 3:34 pm

Mark DoironRe: cool

Mark Doiron

Heh-heh. I have this fantasy: I win the contest to have a photo published on the national parks pass (or whatever the new one is called) and I use the grand prize to go to one of the Alaska parks. Yeah, right, dream on, Mark! :-)

I was born in ME (Brunswick), but have never been to Acadia. Next year (make that THIS year) Curtis and I plan on visiting my folks in Chula Vista, CA, then we'll turn north to Lassen, Redwood, Yosemite, Crater Lake (we hope). --mark d.
Posted Jan 2, 2007 4:16 pm

tarolMy list...

tarol

...is posted on my website

I also keep track of which National Forests I've visited!

Posted Jan 2, 2007 4:15 pm

Mark DoironRe: My list...

Mark Doiron

That's great! Originally I was going to do something like that just as a list for my own use, but then it turned into this "little monster" that I hope SP folks find useful. Thanks for visiting Sequoia! --mark d.
Posted Jan 2, 2007 4:19 pm

Bob SihlerRelated Objects

Bob Sihler

Mark, I once attached objects as related to some of my pages and others', but they soon disappeared. When I reattached, they again disappeared, even from my own pages, so I know this wasn't a case of page owners disliking my submissions and detaching them. I asked about this on the Forum and found out it is a little quirk of SP. If you attach all those parks as children, though, they'll stay.

Bob
Posted Jan 2, 2007 9:02 pm

Mark DoironRe: Related Objects

Mark Doiron

Uh-oh. I'll keep an eye on that, Bob, knowing that folks aren't purposefully detaching the page. They're the same links as are in the table itself, so it won't be much of a problem (except that the relationship doesn't show on the national park page itself). Mostly I did this just to give the NP page "exposure", letting folks who are interested in visiting the parks know that it exists (more subtle than tooting my horn on the forums, so to speak). --mark d.
Posted Jan 2, 2007 9:47 pm

Mark DoironRe: Related Objects

Mark Doiron

Oops! Now they're gone! They were just there a couple days ago. Oh well, I guess that bug isn't fixed. --mark d.
Posted Jan 24, 2007 11:10 am

keemaGood Page

keema

Nice page and a good idea. It got me to thinking and I've been to 15 National Parks, not to mention many National Monuments. Anyone else have the passport book and get the stamp at each park and monument?
My list: Badlands, Crater Lake, Glacier, Grand Canyon, Grand Teton, Great Basin, Hawaii Volcano, Lassen Volcanic, Mount Rainier, Olympic, Redwood, Sequoia, Wind Cave, Yellowstone, and Yosemite.
Posted Jan 3, 2007 4:25 pm

Mark DoironRe: Good Page

Mark Doiron

Hi, Keema! I don't have the passport book, but I do collect the stamps and save them with other memorabilia in albums I construct after each trip. These books include our own journals, as well as whatever else will fit in them (photos, annotated maps, brochures, etc). Right now I have a dozen such albums, and still have one to make for our August visit to Great Sand Dunes and Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Which means I should get my tail off this computer and onto that! :-) --mark d.
Posted Jan 3, 2007 5:35 pm