Ubehebe Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 33
12
RaymondShevsky

RaymondShevsky - Nov 27, 2016 1:39 am Date Climbed: Nov 26, 2016

Fun with my son  Sucess!

Cold and windy, but an enjoyable hike with my ten-year-old boy. Tagged Little Ubehebe as our bonus peak since there wasn't enough daylight to get over to Death Valley Buttes.

colinr

colinr - Mar 3, 2016 1:08 am Date Climbed: Feb 16, 2016

Long Drive to a Short Hike  Sucess!

The peak and views made the washboard drive out to the Racetrack worthwhile.

CameronGround

CameronGround - Jan 11, 2016 4:26 am Date Climbed: Jan 24, 2015

Trail from Racetrack  Sucess!

The peak towers spectacularly over the racetrack, with views to match up top. Watching the shadows grow over Saline Valley as the sun set behind the Inyo Mountains was pretty sweet. The higher parts of the route have plenty of big bouldery features around that can be scrambled for the fun of it if not for necessity of upward progress.

Dequan AF

Dequan AF - Jul 10, 2015 7:20 pm Date Climbed: Mar 11, 2012

i nailed it  Sucess!

i like it. i like it a lot.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Mar 20, 2015 12:13 pm Date Climbed: Mar 19, 2015

Little and Big Ubehebe  Sucess!

This is a seriously cool place on earth. The Grandstand and playa are otherworldly. After Charleston, Telescope, Wildrose, Dry, and Tin we ended our trip with Ubehebe. We were surprised to find a good trail all the way from Little Ubehebe to the top of Big Ubehebe with only a few short scramble sections. The route was very fun and will not be forgotten.

NOTE: We made the drive out in my Subaru Crosstrek which has 8.5 inches of clearance and regular street tires. We drove slowly and carefully, averaging ~15 mph. But we did see a lot people cruising at 30+ mph, so it's no wonder that this road has a reputation for flat tires. Drive carefully and you will be fine. I have driven much worse in Death Valley.

Don't believe the hype. A rental jeep is probably unnecessary.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Jan 27, 2015 9:55 pm Date Climbed: Jan 10, 2015

The Trail  Sucess!

What Tom said below. Trip Report.

bechtt

bechtt - Jan 14, 2015 10:21 pm Date Climbed: Jan 10, 2015

Trail  Sucess!

With Bob and Karl

Wallylongridge

Wallylongridge - Jan 30, 2013 11:29 pm Date Climbed: Jan 27, 2013

The Trail  Sucess!

The views of the racetrack are worth the hike.

orbitor

orbitor - Jan 28, 2013 6:44 pm Date Climbed: Oct 20, 2012

From Racetrack Valley  Sucess!

Got to the Racetrack around mid-day after the long drive-in and hit the trail fairly late after fooling around on the Grandstand. Followed unmaintained trail up the ridge, considered turning around once the scrambling became more serious and the sun was going down. Decided to go for it. Overcame a few short class 3 sections, then powered to the top. Happy I made the right call, the views are extra sweet. Could even see Whitney peeking behind the Inyos to the west. Got down much faster than expect and with plenty of daylight left. A must-do peak when in the area!

WOLFrising

WOLFrising - Jan 5, 2013 11:17 pm

Snowy day in DV  Sucess!

Winter 2012

A very snowy desert climb with Krista, John y Jose. So many people complain about the drive out. It was not bad at all, in fact, it was maybe the highlight of the trip. A nice road and a forest of Joshua Trees covered in snow! The peak itself was very fun and easy to climb, and the view to the playa and the Grandstand was very unique!

labgloves

labgloves - Dec 1, 2012 1:05 pm Date Climbed: Nov 24, 2012

My first peak into Saline Valley

We only hiked to the false summit via the trail.

Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney - Jan 16, 2012 11:29 pm Date Climbed: Jan 15, 2012

Fun Trail  Sucess!

That's fun trail. Nice weather. Got to the summit around 2pm and hung out until 4:00. Hiked down, watching hte sun set.

ckerth

ckerth - Jan 2, 2012 4:37 pm Date Climbed: Jan 1, 2012

From Grandstand  Sucess!

Cold night before the climb, somewhere around 15F. Good view of the Racetrack/Grandstand from the summit.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Oct 30, 2011 12:42 am Date Climbed: Oct 29, 2011

Unexpected coolness  Sucess!

Wow... I pooh-poohed the fact that it had a trail... but what a peak, what a trail! The previous day I had gone up Tin, a grand slog; quite a contrast.

asmrz

asmrz - Dec 26, 2010 1:04 pm Date Climbed: Dec 7, 2010

Interesting place and hike  Sucess!

Penelope and I camped at the end of the dirt road south of the Racetrack and next morning (Dec 7, 2010) hiked up the peak. The trail is easy to the lower summit, from there the trail steepens and is (in places) poorly defined. But the views from the summit are great and the whole Racetrack area and the Ubehebe Crater area are worth driving the 28 miles on a rough dirt road.

robot one

robot one - Dec 20, 2010 12:08 am Date Climbed: Dec 14, 2010

From the grandstand  Sucess!

A real good time with lots of close fighter jet action.

mrchad9

mrchad9 - May 9, 2010 5:03 am Date Climbed: Nov 27, 2005

From the Racetrack  Sucess!

Fun spur of the moment scramble up from the Racetrack. Loved the views into Saline Valley.

MITllama02 - Mar 10, 2010 1:30 pm Date Climbed: Mar 9, 2010

how to pass "flat tire heaven"

The first step is getting to the TH. The Jeep we rented at Burbank airport had 2 flat tires at the same time on paved Wildrose Canyon Rd as we entered the park! Fortunately a ranger at the campground had a compressor to pump up the less flat tire enough to limp into Stovepipe, where we pumped it up enough to get to Furnace Creek, but the tire repair machine was broken. So we pumped up the tire again and went to Farabee's Jeep Rentals where the proprietor, Richard, was kind enough to loan us a couple of tires so that we could drive to Pahrump, NV and finally repair those tires. That cost us a vacation day.
We still didn't trust the repaired tires (they were only 4 ply) so rented a Jeep with 6 ply tires from Farabee's and drove easily to Ubehebe TH. Due to lost time, we only climbed to the saddle and then tried to hit every other attraction that needed 4WD while we had Farabee's Jeep (such as driving up Echo Canyon).
If I went back, I'd rent a normal car at the airport (half the price) and use it for most of the driving, and rent from Farabee's for the off-road excursions.

mzenblu

mzenblu - Apr 1, 2009 3:51 pm Date Climbed: Mar 27, 2009

Route - Little Ubehebe to summit  Sucess!

The initial description is a bit off - the peak is at 5,678' which is less than 2,000' above Racetrack (not 3,000). That said, this is a great little hike with amazing views at both Little Ubehebe (the North Peak), and Big Ubehebe. The scramble from Little Hebe to the summit is clearly a highlight, but I'd say more Class 3 minus.

Hike is 5mi roundtrip, and I showed a total ascent of 2,405' including the vertical regained from the saddle to the southern peak. Took 3 hours with fair amount of stopped time for pictures and a minor route error on the way down.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 25, 2009 4:42 pm Date Climbed: Jan 17, 2009

Ubehebe Peak  Sucess!

We climbed Ubehebe on a beautiful sunny day. I really enjoyed the hike from Little Hebe to the summit. Awesome views in all directions.

Viewing: 1-20 of 33
12
Return to 'Ubehebe Peak' main page