Uncanoonac Nature Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.98970°N / 71.6049°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA UNCANOONAC NATURE TRAIL AND CABLE CAR ROUTE: From 114 roughly a mile east of the center of Goffstown. Take Wallace road passed Goffstown High School for 1.5 miles until you reach Mountain Base Rd. take a right on Mountain Base Road. Take the road through the wooded residential neighborhood until you reach Uncanoonac Lake. The is just behind the beach.



Route Description



From South Uncunoonuc (2/26/04)


UNCANOONAC NATURE TRAIL
TOTAL ROUNDTRIP HIKE: 2 miles
TOTAL ELEVATION GAIN: 600 ft.

This is one of the few mountains where the base trailhead of this trail is prettier than the summit. From the nice lakeside beach take the dirt road up to a sign designating the trail. Continue on the trail as it becomes more steady and curving as the trail rises through the woods. The trail then comes to a fork after the steepest rise. Stay to the right and take the trail all the way through the evergreen forest to the summit road. Take a left on the summit road and take the road all the way around the loop. Enjoy the wonderful views of manmade antennas and tower. The summit has been block off by a fence and views are limited by the number of antennas, and cell phone towers.

Return the way you came or down the cable route (Class 2) mentioned in the main page. Though the route will shorten your roundtrip to 1.6 miles. It is also much steeper than the trail.

From South Uncunoonuc (2/26/04)

Essential Gear

Essential hiking gear such as hiking boots, 20 oz of water, flashlight, bug repellent, etc. are the only things needed in spring, summer, and fall. However in winter sturdy snowshoes are highly recommended due to the often much deeper snow here as compared to sorrounding areas.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.