Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.83110°N / 122.2234°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7709 ft / 2350 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Union Peak is a relatively small, rocky mountain in the far southwestern corner of Crater Lake National Park. The mountain is basically just a very large rockpile with a monolith on top.

Union Peak is the eroded remnant of a significantly larger volcano. The monolith is the surviving part of the volcanic neck, which was made of harder material than the other parts of the mountain, so it did not erode as much by glaciation as did the other slopes of the peak. There are no glaciers on the mountain today. The last time Union Peak was glaciated was thousands of years in the past. Union Peak is now extinct. It is the oldest mountain in the park.

There is a trail to the top of Union Peak (see Routes).

For more peaks in the park, check out Crater Lake Caldera, Mount Scott, and Hillman Peak.

Getting There


Drive to the summit of Highway 62 (about 1 mile west of Mazama Village). Turn south at a "Pacific Crest Trail" sign. Go to the dirt turn-around at the end of the very short road. The trail follows the Pacific Crest Trail part of the way. This is the trailhead.

Red Tape


Since the peak is in Crater Lake National Park, you must pay fees:
INDIVIDUAL ENTRANCE (Vehicle): $10 (seven-day pass).
INDIVIDUAL ENTRANCE (bike, foot): $5 (seven-day pass).
GOLD ACCESS PASSPORT (blind or disabled): Free (lifetime).
GOLDEN AGE PASSPORT (62 years or older): $10 (lifetime).
GOLDEN EAGLE PASSPORT (good for one year from date of purchase): $50 (good for one year).

Also, there are many large shiitake mushrooms in the park too, but it is illegal to harvest them in the park.



When To Climb


It is best as a summer hike, but I guess you can make a winter trek (or nordic ski trip) of it. If so, the winter trip would be much longer.

Camping


Camping is not allowed on or near the trail. There are camping sites near Mazama Village and the Crater Lake Caldera. See Crater Lake camping/lodging.

Mountain Conditions


Call Crater Lake National Park at (541) 594-2211.

Park Information


Check out the Crater Lake National Park website: Crater Lake NP.



Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-11 of 11

Popoff - Jan 27, 2003 6:54 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

You are correct once again. Thanks for noticing the error.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 27, 2003 9:50 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hmm, still a bit off. Try putting in 42 degrees 50 minutes by 122 degrees 13 minutes and see if that gets Union Peak on the topozone map. Hope that works..................

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 29, 2003 10:35 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

OK, still a bit off but I figured out the problem. I gave you degrees and minutes to enter and the format is in decimals. I think the following might work (sorry for the confusion on this, my fault).

42.833 by 122.2167

Hopefully, Union Peak will be in the topozone map this time. Good luck. :- )

Popoff - Feb 4, 2003 7:13 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you once again.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 25, 2003 9:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I think your coordinates are a bit off. Is it supposed to be 121 west and not 122? Not sure but the distance it shows from Crater Lake is not correct. Might want to double check.

Popoff - Jan 27, 2003 6:54 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

You are correct once again. Thanks for noticing the error.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 27, 2003 9:50 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Hmm, still a bit off. Try putting in 42 degrees 50 minutes by 122 degrees 13 minutes and see if that gets Union Peak on the topozone map. Hope that works..................

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Jan 29, 2003 10:35 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

OK, still a bit off but I figured out the problem. I gave you degrees and minutes to enter and the format is in decimals. I think the following might work (sorry for the confusion on this, my fault).

42.833 by 122.2167

Hopefully, Union Peak will be in the topozone map this time. Good luck. :- )

Popoff - Feb 4, 2003 7:13 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thank you once again.

wildstar

wildstar - Nov 20, 2004 12:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Crater Lake weather can be found here.

abhike2@yahoo.com - Jun 11, 2016 11:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Entry fees

Your entry fee section is incorrect. You come to the trailhead for the PCT and the Union Peak Trail before you come to any of the entrance stations (there are no entry stations on Highway 62). Last time I looked, there was no parking fee or permit required on the PCT parking lot of Highway 62.

Viewing: 1-11 of 11


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Crater Lake National ParkMountains & Rocks