ScottPeak #40

Scott

I believe the highpoint in the Mineral Range is actually the tower noth of Granite Peak which may called Milford Needle, though the topo map is confusing on which point is actually Milford Needle. Granite Peak is 9580 feet, but the granite tower just to the north (regardless of the name) is 9582 feet. I haven't climbed it, nor heard of anyone who has, but it looks very technical. The summit of Granite Peak is easier to reach.
Posted Nov 10, 2009 11:42 pm

DeanMore info

#62 Strawberry Peak

From Eric Willhites trip reports:

#15Monroe Peak
#21San Pitch Peak
#50Bruin Point
#72Indian Peaks

I've personally been up each of the above peaks and can attest to the accuracy of Eric's fine information. I've also been to the top of #30 Mt. Dutton and it is mostly a drive up.
#47 Lewis Peak is on private property as are #54 Messix Peak, #78 Durst Peak and #79 Wagon Ridge Road (Roan Peaks). A few have been able to get permission for #47 Lewis Peak but no one has yet received permission for #51 Messix and #78 Durst. #79 is on the Ute Indian Reservation and a permit is required and 120 miles roundtrip of road driving from Ft. Duchesne.

Private property peaks are to be respected, do not stealth them.
Granite Peak in the Dugway proving ground is TOTALLY off limits and the other Granite Peak highpoint, the Milford Needle has not yet been climbed. Also, Monroe Peak has a nearby neighbor that is only one foot lower, Signal Peak. That one should be added to your list and combined with Monroe Peak.
Posted Nov 11, 2009 7:13 am

mountaingazelleUtah Prominence

mountaingazelle

I think you mixed up the two Box Elder Peaks on your pages. The one that is a prominence peak is located farther north in the Wellsville Mountains. I agree with the others about Granite Peak in the Mineral Range. I also think that Milford Needle is the highpoint. Otherwise, this is a great page. Thanks for taking the time to add these prominence lists!
Posted Nov 15, 2009 8:48 pm

redsplashman23Re: Utah Prominence

redsplashman23

You are absolutely right, I did have them mixed up. I fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out.
Posted Nov 16, 2009 8:23 am

mountaingazelleRe: Utah Prominence

mountaingazelle

One more note, you mentioned the two Granite Peaks. #48 in Tooele County is the one that is off limits to the public because it is located on Dugway Proving Grounds. #40 in Beaver County is open to the public.
Posted Nov 17, 2009 11:53 am

redsplashman23Re: Utah Prominence

redsplashman23

Fixed it. I see I confused those. Thanks again for your help.

Posted Nov 17, 2009 12:16 pm

mountaingazelleRe: Utah Prominence

mountaingazelle

I’m not sure why but the photos for Mount Dutton #30 and Granite Peak #40 don’t show up on both of your Utah prominence pages, at least not on my computer. Also, ericwillhite added a page for Lewis Peak #47 on May 6, 2010. See Here
Posted May 19, 2010 10:44 am