Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Scott

Scott - Nov 10, 2009 11:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Peak #40

I believe the highpoint in the Mineral Range is actually the tower noth of Granite Peak which may called Milford Needle, though the topo map is confusing on which point is actually Milford Needle. Granite Peak is 9580 feet, but the granite tower just to the north (regardless of the name) is 9582 feet. I haven't climbed it, nor heard of anyone who has, but it looks very technical. The summit of Granite Peak is easier to reach.

Dean

Dean - Nov 11, 2009 7:13 am - Voted 10/10

More info

#62 Strawberry Peak

From Eric Willhites trip reports:

#15Monroe Peak
#21San Pitch Peak
#50Bruin Point
#72Indian Peaks

I've personally been up each of the above peaks and can attest to the accuracy of Eric's fine information. I've also been to the top of #30 Mt. Dutton and it is mostly a drive up.
#47 Lewis Peak is on private property as are #54 Messix Peak, #78 Durst Peak and #79 Wagon Ridge Road (Roan Peaks). A few have been able to get permission for #47 Lewis Peak but no one has yet received permission for #51 Messix and #78 Durst. #79 is on the Ute Indian Reservation and a permit is required and 120 miles roundtrip of road driving from Ft. Duchesne.

Private property peaks are to be respected, do not stealth them.
Granite Peak in the Dugway proving ground is TOTALLY off limits and the other Granite Peak highpoint, the Milford Needle has not yet been climbed. Also, Monroe Peak has a nearby neighbor that is only one foot lower, Signal Peak. That one should be added to your list and combined with Monroe Peak.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 15, 2009 8:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Utah Prominence

I think you mixed up the two Box Elder Peaks on your pages. The one that is a prominence peak is located farther north in the Wellsville Mountains. I agree with the others about Granite Peak in the Mineral Range. I also think that Milford Needle is the highpoint. Otherwise, this is a great page. Thanks for taking the time to add these prominence lists!

redsplashman23

redsplashman23 - Nov 16, 2009 8:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Utah Prominence

You are absolutely right, I did have them mixed up. I fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Nov 17, 2009 11:53 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Utah Prominence

One more note, you mentioned the two Granite Peaks. #48 in Tooele County is the one that is off limits to the public because it is located on Dugway Proving Grounds. #40 in Beaver County is open to the public.

redsplashman23

redsplashman23 - Nov 17, 2009 12:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Utah Prominence

Fixed it. I see I confused those. Thanks again for your help.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - May 19, 2010 10:44 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Utah Prominence

I’m not sure why but the photos for Mount Dutton #30 and Granite Peak #40 don’t show up on both of your Utah prominence pages, at least not on my computer. Also, ericwillhite added a page for Lewis Peak #47 on May 6, 2010. See Here

redsplashman23

redsplashman23 - May 23, 2010 7:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Utah Prominence

Good to go!

Clubbox42

Clubbox42 - Jun 4, 2016 9:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Misplaced Images

I am new to SP, but have been on the site many times without an account and have noticed a few images that appear out of place. The image for Keg Mountain looks to be of some high peak in the middle of winter, and the image is Drum Mountains HP is unquestionably an image of Mount Conness, CA.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'Utah 2,000 ft Prominence Peaks' main page