Viewing: 1-20 of 20
Scott

Scott - Apr 25, 2006 8:15 pm - Hasn't voted

More

If this page covers the Great Basin, consider attaching Fool Peak, Frary Peak, Flat Top Mountain, Lowe Peak, and Bull Mountain.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Apr 25, 2006 8:24 pm - Hasn't voted

how much of Great Basin?

I wasn't sure what was the scope of the now-defunct Western Utah page from the early v2 taxonomy effort. I kind of figured, too much of a stretch may be labelled a turf grab LOL. The Oquirrhs are a Great Basin range but IMO no desert. Frary and Silver Island are already included in the Northern Utah area page.
This leaves Fool Peak possibly? Would it be more logical together with Fishlake, Wasatch Plateau maybe, that sort of Central Utah stuff? I'll take your word.
Then speaking of Great Basin further West, I may attach Snakes and Shells as "related". Maybe Silver Island too? What do you think?

Scott

Scott - Apr 25, 2006 8:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: how much of Great Basin?

The Oquirrhs are a Great Basin range but IMO no desert.

True, but I would consider the Stansbury and especially Deseret Peak to be more alpine and less desert than the Oquirrhs. Maybe the Deep Creeks too, though they are surrounded by desert.

Frary and Silver Island are already included in the Northern Utah area page.

To me it makes more sense to include them on the West Desert/Great Basin page since that is the pysisiological province they belong too. I'm not even sure why the "Northern Utah" page exist. It has no physical boundaries and is contrived and illogical. The page supposedly eliminates the Wasatch, but includes the subranges of the Wasatch, and has no logical southern bounday, in a geographic sense?? Parts of it are pieces of the Great Basin and parts are pieces of the Rocky Mountains. I don't get that page at all. Personally, I think it just confuses things.

This leaves Fool Peak possibly? Would it be more logical together with Fishlake, Wasatch Plateau maybe, that sort of Central Utah stuff?

Canyon Range (which Fool Peak is a part of) is in the Great Basin Desert. Usually I hear the boundary between the "West Desert" and "High Plateaus" as approximately I-15, though it isn't definate since that is a man made feature, and geography always takes precidence.

Then speaking of Great Basin further West, I may attach Snakes and Shells as "related". Maybe Silver Island too? What do you think?

Silver Island for sure. I guess the Schells and Snakes would be realted, but not part of "Utah Western Desert Ranges".

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Apr 25, 2006 9:03 pm - Hasn't voted

Still not sure about Fool Creek and Signal

and the reason is, they need a completely different Getting-to, Red Tape, and of course History sections. Same about Frary, which also needs a special Wildlife section. I am not really going to include Bingham Canyon or Iron Mission stories here - they deserve their own place. I guess I'd rather keep it more compact, limit it by an imaginary line South of US 6, and maybe separate out the Stansburies in the future.

Scott

Scott - Apr 25, 2006 10:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Still not sure about Fool Creek and Signal

I guess I'd rather keep it more compact, limit it by an imaginary line South of US 6, and maybe separate out the Stansburies in the future

Personally, I have to admit that I don't really like it, but this is just my opinion. Same problem as the "Northern Utah" Page. No definate boundaries, and it can create confusion. I guess do what you must, but I believe Area/Range Pages should be more about geography instead of contrived such as "Northern Utah", "Central Utah", "Western Utah", etc. I believe it much better to have such pages as "Great Basin" House Range", "Wasatch Mountains", "Deep Creek Mountains", or maybe even a national Park such as "Zion NP and vicinity", etc, because they are easer to define and search. It may be just my personal opinion though, and perhaps try asking on the Southwest Board.

What may work, is having the other person call his page "West Desert/Great Basin-Northern Section" and this one "West Desert/Great Basin-Central Section" with boundaries at I-80 and Highway 50/6, but I don't know.

With the way it is named now, Frary Peak, etc. definately should be attached since they are certainly in the West Desert.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 5, 2009 11:22 pm - Voted 10/10

What ??

I couldn't believe I missed voting on this excellent mountain page!

Were you able to add Grassy Mountain to this page. I was just wondering where it was located. Awesome page, Dmitry!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Feb 6, 2009 1:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Grassy Mountain

Is it in Idaho somewhere? Thanks for your kind words Larry!

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 6, 2009 2:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Grassy Mountain

Sorry. I was experiencing a very high volume of users on SP, and
I forgot to give you the LINK.

Dean

Dean - Feb 6, 2009 2:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Grassy Mountain

Larry, there isn't a page for Grassy at this time. I've offered to help MikerHiker put a page up since he really knows the area but the way to get to it is to head west from SLC toward Wendover and take exit 62 and head north about ten miles. More info will be forthcoming (hopefully).
Dean

lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 6, 2009 3:08 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Grassy Mountain

Thank you kindly, Dean!

Dean

Dean - Nov 15, 2010 10:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Updates

It should be noted that mountaingazelle has taken this page and really improved it. An incredible amount of work by her to create a really impressive SP page. The page was started by Dmitry and I added some more but mountaingazelle has just really created a masterpiece. If you want info on the western desert, this page is where you should look first. Thanks Melinda, excellent work. BTW, I will add Red Butte in the Grouse Creek range soon. : )

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Jan 25, 2011 9:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Very Cool

This is a part of Utah I have yet to get to. I'll get there though...someday...and scrutinize everything there :)
Thanks for the great page

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 26, 2011 12:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Very Cool

Thanks! Since you like the remote areas of Southern Utah, I'm sure that you will probably like this area too. There are a lot of places to explore here.

ridgeguy

ridgeguy - Jan 27, 2011 7:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Just noticed the changes.

This page is incredible. Some serious time went into this. Love it. So many more peaks need pages. Let's get to them.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jan 28, 2011 12:56 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Just noticed the changes.

Thanks Eric! It's a big page. There are a few other smaller ranges that I will add information for later. I would like to climb more mountains in the West Desert. Because of the long driving distances, it may take a while. We are all just trying to keep up with Dean!

Dean

Dean - Jan 28, 2011 6:41 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Just noticed the changes.

The reason why the page is incredible is that I was smart enough to get Mountaingazelle on board after the page was turned over to me. Melinda just produces masterpieces and she has taken the time and effort to keep this one improving on a continual basis. I can easily say that she has some of the best area pages on SP. Kudos indeed to MG.

Ed F

Ed F - Feb 3, 2011 6:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Amazing resource

So much information and it's very well organized. Great work.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Feb 4, 2011 2:05 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Amazing resource

Ed, thanks for the nice comment! I think the West Desert is a great place to hike and climb mountains. It was fun writing about these mountain ranges.

MichaelGogins - Feb 4, 2011 6:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks

Thank you very much for contributing this area page. The pictures are magnificent and remind me of the many splendid days of hiking and climbing I spent here from the late 1960s through the 1970s. This part of the world is still somewhat as God made it, and you can tell. I hope to come back and climb to the top of Mt. Ibapah or Deseret Peak and sleep under the desert stars some day.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Feb 4, 2011 11:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Thanks

Thank you Michael! I'm glad you like the page. The pictures really show how diverse this area is. Some people view the West Desert as uninteresting but I see a lot beauty in the area. I would also like to climb Ibapah which I hear is a great mountain. Deseret Peak is always a nice hike and I'll probably hike up it again.

Viewing: 1-20 of 20
Return to 'Utah Western Desert Ranges' main page