Via Petroleum Lake

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.04593°N / 106.63159°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike+Class III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Truro Peak is most directly approached from the south via Galena Creek drainage. Entering this drainage may require some bushwhacking (see this trip report: Trip Report). The route described here will take you up a trail to the 12300 ft Petroleum Lake and then a 12500 ft saddle to the west of Larson Peak. You will then have to descend 500 vertical feet to reach the southern base of Truro Peak in Galena drainage.








Map
Map


Getting There

Directions to Petroleum Lake Trailhead

From the town of Aspen, drive roughly 10 miles east on Route 82 until you see the sign for the Lincoln Gulch Road (Forest Road 106) on the right (south) side of the road.

Guidebooks might say that most cars can drive up Lincoln Gulch Road but I found it to be pretty rough and will not drive it in anything less than an SUV.

Drive the pot hole ridden Lincoln Gulch Road east. After 3.3 miles, you will reach the junction of New York Creek Road. Continue straight (left). 0.75 miles later you will reach the Tabor Creek Trailhead.

After the Tabor Creek Trailhead, the road seems to become much smoother. It continues east for another 2.5 miles to reach the Grizzly Reservoir. Here the road turns south and becomes rough again. 4WD is recommended. Drive the road another 3.5 miles to reach the signed junction of the trail to Anderson & Petroleum Lakes (11200 ft).

Galena Creek drainage comes to view less than a mile to the north of Petroleum Lake Trailhead. If you are interested in hiking this drainage, you will have to identify the creek on your own. It is quite obvious on the south side of Truro Peak.

Route Description

All distances are per my GPS.


Place
Elevation
Distance
Trailhead
11200 ft
zero miles
Anderson Lake
11820 ft
1.1 miles
Petroleum Lake
12300 ft
1.0 miles
Saddle to the west of Larson
12500 ft
-
Southern base of Truro
12000 ft
-
Saddle
12820 ft
1.30 miles
Summit
13282 ft
0.1 miles
Total
3.5 miles



Follow a well established trail to Anderson Lake and then Petroleum Lake. You will then hike up to the 12500 ft saddle to the west of Larson Peak (see Larson Peak Page for details).

At the 12500 ft saddle, Truro and West Truro come to view to the north.
You will then have to descend down a scree slope to reach a nameless lake and then further down grassy slopes to 12000 ft to reach the base of Truro Peak in Galena Creek Valley.






Southwest Face
Truro & West Truro
Southern Grassy Slopes
Base of Truro


Hike up a grassy slope to reach the 12820 saddle between Truro and West Truro Peaks.






Southern Grassy Slopes
 
Southern Grassy Slopes
 


Class III hiking up the rocky western ridgeline of Truro will then take you to the summit. We veered to the north side of the ridgetop where the hiking was easier.












Western Ridgeline
 
Western Ridgeline
 
Western Ridgeline
 
Western Ridgeline
 
Western Ridgeline
 
Western Ridgeline
 


Essential Gear

Hiking equipment.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.