Via St Martin Grasberg

Via St Martin Grasberg

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.50714°N / 11.04688°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: A moderate mountain hiking route
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Probably the most popular route to the Kramerspitz summit is via the St Martin Hutte at Grasberg. A steady and continuous climb past the hut until the steep section starts at around 1450m. Some small exposed sections and a few sections with a fixed wire rope that are easy enough for any mountain hiker.

The route starts close to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and the hutte claims to have no rest day, hence the popularity of the route. It is often combined with a descent via the Stepbergalm, (to the West of the summit).

Whilst there are some undulations after the saddle is reached at 1740m, there are none before that. So if descending this route there is the delight of a continuous and unbroken downhill walk for over 1000m of height until the valley floor is reached when returning!

Getting There

A short walk from the center of Garmisch-Partenkirchen will get you to Thomas Knorr Strasse. There is a also a bus stop with that name on the route out to Burgrain and Farchant, (don't take the service that goes via the Wank mountain as that is on the other side of town). This service is run by the local town and runs from early until late at quite frequent intervals, (at most hourly, often more frequently).

Route Description

Follow This Sign!Important left turn just above 1450m
From the Thomas Knorr Strasse near the main road between Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Burgrain head West through the suburbs for a short distance onto the forest road to the hutte at St Martin, Grasberg. Initially tarmac the road soon becomes gravel and climbs at a steady pace to the hutte where a narrower track takes over. This continues up at a comfortable grade, crossing a small wooden bridge and then passes the little viewing platform at 1238m. The track passes along a ledge here giving some exposure.

At just above 1450m the main track turns North towards the Königstand, and a narrow and now quite steep track leaves to the South. It is marked only by a small wooden sign on a tree facing the track up from the valley. This is the route up to the saddle at around 1740m, and becomes rocky and stony with a couple of sections with a fixed wire rope. Views become magnificent as the taller trees give way to dwarf pines. At the saddle a short track to the East leads to the summit of the Katzenkopf at 1817m, (superb afternoon views down to and across the valley), whilst the path to the main summit heads generally West. Some undulations start here, with one significant and very steep descent, (no fixed wire rope!), before the track heads around to the North of the summit and crosses a steep field of scree and loose stones etc.

The climb continues with the summit cross, which is on top of a final steep section, being approached from the North. The actual summit is a few metres behind and just to the North of the cross.

Those less experienced in the mountains might feel happier about scrambling a few of the sections, (I did!), but the majority of experienced mountain hikers will just walk this route untroubled by the steeper sections.

Essential Gear

Standard hiking gear including decent boots to cope with the loose rocks and stones crossed later on. Take plenty of water as the St Martin Hutte is not open all day and is quite low down on the trail, (1028m). No water sources were seen on the mountain.

External Links

All external links are shown on the main page for this mountain.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
selinunte01

selinunte01 - Apr 20, 2009 4:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Route Description

The trail junction at 1450 m is now (2009) better marked with new signs, you will no longer miss the right direction to Kramerspitz summit.

Big Benn

Big Benn - Apr 22, 2009 5:51 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Route Description

Thanks for that. I'll look out for it when I do that route next.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.