View of the ridge to Gypsy...

View of the ridge to Gypsy...

View of the ridge to Gypsy Peak from the trailhead. It would be nice to think that point just left of center would be Gypsy. NOT! First you take some trail to the left before heading up and down across the ridge to the right. August 28, 2003
theplugger
on Jan 14, 2004 9:13 pm
Image ID: 38527

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Klenke

Klenke - Jan 14, 2004 9:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Brings back mosquito memories

I slept at the trailhead for this climb. I can almost picture my Honda sitting right there in the middle of the photo. It was July. There were mosquitos. I tried to do all my busines (brushing teeth, etc.) away from the car, then make a dash for the car. That way, I could lose the majority of the skeeters before I got in the car and shut the door, else they'd be in there with me. Then, of course, it was a battle to keep the windows cracked at just the right amount to get sufficient air whilst keeping out the buggers.



I never imagined at the time of making this mountain page that there'd be so much interest in it. Here's to county high points.



Incidentally, the high point above is Pk 7177, the other side of this peak.

theplugger

theplugger - Jan 14, 2004 10:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Brings back mosquito memories

Hmmmm. I don't remember the mosquitos, so maybe they were fried by the end of August. The oppressive HEAT stands out in my memory. We set out fairly early and still the combination of exertion and heat stopped me on that Pk 7177. We'll just have to go back and try it again one cool day. If it weren't for the cohpers these nice peaks and ridge walks would go undiscovered. Thanks for the page.

Dean

Dean - Jan 14, 2004 10:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Brings back mosquito memories

We were there a week later and the skeeters were still out in abundance so I can imagine very well what you had to contend with. I sleep in my car alot and I solved some of the window ventilation problem by carrying some fine mosquito netting and taping it to the outside of the car where I wanted an open window. Of course, it would not keep a hungry grizzly out but that is another story.



Besides county highpointers, I know some other guys who just want to get up there and photograph to their hearts content. One is Alan Bauer and the other is Clinton Hunt. I'm sure your page will help to develop a lot of interest in Gypsy peak.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3