Vlădeasa Mountains

Vlădeasa Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 46.75770°N / 22.79502°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6024 ft / 1836 m
Sign the Climber's Log

LukZem Video

 

Overview

 

Vlădeasa massif (1836 m)
Vlădeasa massif at 1836 m

 

Munţii Vlădeasa (Romanian)

Vlegyásza-hegység / Kalota-havas (Hungarian)


The Vlădeasa Mountains are the northernmost of the three high central massifs of the Western Transylvanian (Apuseni) Mountains, which belong in the Southwestern Carpathians. Their northern boundary is formed by the Crişul Repede/Sebes-Körös river. They border on the plateau of Padis/Pádis in the south, along the following line: the upper course of the Crişul Pietros river - Boga - Cuciulat Pass - Rachiţele Valley. In the west, the valley of the Iad/Jád river separates the Vlădeasa Mountains from a lower mountain range known as Pădurea Craiului/Király-erdő (Royal Forest). On the east, the Vlădeasa Mountains are bounded by the Huedin/Bánffyhunyad Basin, i.e. the watersheds of the Săcueiu and Henţ rivers.

Vlădeasa Mountains
Vlădeasa Mountains

The main ridge of the Vlădeasa massif is about 50km long and resembles a horseshoe along whose axis the Drăgan/Dregán river runs northerly, dividing this massif into two segments. The eastern ridge boasts the highest peak named Vf.Vlădeasa/Vlegyásza or Vigyázó which tops out at 1836m. It is the third highest summit in the Apuseni Mountains. The western ridge is much lower, does not exceed 1500m in elevation and is not often visited by hikers. It rises over the valley of the Iad river and trends SSE, with the following summits: Stâna de Izvor (1339m) - Muncelaşu (1415m) - Piatra Calului/Ló-havas (1463m) - Vf.Muncei/Kis-havas (1411m) - Vf.Poienii/Mező-havas (1625m) - Vf.Bohodei/Istenek-havasa (1654m) - Vf.Fântăna Rece/Hideg-kút (1654m). Past Cornul Munţilor/Szegelet-havas the eastern ridge turns NE towards the summits of Vf.Cârligatele/Horgas-havas (1694m) - Coasta Brăiesei (1692m) - Vf.Briţei/Sík-havas (1759m) - Piatra Tâlharului/Tolvajoskő or Tolvajkő or Tolvajvár (1608m) - Vf.Miclău/Mikó-havas (1640m) - Nimăiasa/Néma-havas (1589m) - Vârfuraşu/Kis-havas (1688m) - Vf.Vlădeasa/Vigyázó (1836m).

Coasta Brăiesei (1692 m)Coasta Brăiesei



The relief of the Vlădeasa Mountains is characterized by broad, gentle, slightly undulating ridges (e.g.Vf.Cârligatele) and vast plateaus, which sport occasional rocky outcrops (e.g. Cetatea Bohodeiului, Golgota), blockfields (e.g. Vf.Buteasa), nival niches, crags (e.g. Piatra Tâlharului) and impressive cliff bands (e.g. Pietrele Albe/Fehér-kövek).

Piatra Tâlharului (1608 m)Piatra Tâlharului

 

This charming landscape is enriched by multiple caves (e.g. Vârfuraşu) and countless cascades, including the highest waterfall of the Vlădeasa Mountains named Săritoarea Bohodeiului, which is 80m tall.

Bride's veil waterfall
Bride's veil
Bohodei waterfall
Bohodei falls
Golgota
Golgota
Săritoarea Ieduţului waterfall
Săritoarea Ieduţului,
 
It is volcanic rocks - andesite, rhyolite and dacite - that predominate in the Vlădeasa massif. Jurassic limestone can be found in isolated places towards the fringe of the mountains, Pietrele Albe/Fehér-kövek (White Cliffs) being a case in point.
 
White Rocks
The White Cliffs


The table below lists the highest as well as some other conspicuous summits.
 
Summit
Elevation in meters
Photo
A few words about
Vlădeasa
1836
Vlădeasa summit (1836m)
The highest, twin-peaked summit, formed of rhyolite with a weather station on its top. In the eastern part of the main ridge. Accessible via a red dot trail.
Buteasa
1792
Buteasa massif (1792 m)
The second highest peak boasting interesting scenery (blockfields, nival niches on its east side, dwarf pine and junipers, no man-made structures, vast spruce woodland around, a botanical reserve). The summit makes for a superb vantage point affording fine views of the entire Vlădeasa range. It faces the highest massif in all of the Apuseni Mountains - the Bihor proper - across the Padis Plateau to the south. In the central part, about 5 km N of the main ridge. Red triangles.
Briţei
1759
Briţei summit (1759m)
In the central section. Blue stripes.
Cârligatele
1694
Cârligatele massif (1694 m)
Elongated crest, steep S face and gentle N face, botanical preserve. In the central part about 1 km SW of Cumpănăţel pass. Red stripe traverse.
Vârfuraşu
1688
Vârfuraşu summit (1688 m)
Namesake cave in its S side. In the eastern segment about 3 km SW of the highest peak. Blue stripe traverse.
Bohodei
1654
Bohodei peak (1654 m)
Cliffy W face, namesake cascade at its SW foot. In the western part. Red stripe traverse.
Poienii
1627
Poienii massif (1627 m)
Pastures on its W side and junipers covering E side. In the western section. Red/blue stripe traverse.
Piatra Tâlharului
1608
Thief´s Rock (1608 m)
Craggy witness of erosion. In the central part. Blue/yellow stripes.
Piatra Grăitoare
1557
Piatra Grăitoare (1557 m)
Wooded top, the W face composed of two fascinating limestone cliffs named Pietrele Albe, nature reserve. In the eastern segment, about 3 km SE of the highest summit. Unmarked path.
 
Golgota-Bohodei

Getting There

The nearest airport is at Cluj-Napoca.
Road and train access to the Vlădeasa Mountains is possible from the NW/NE – details are tabulated below.

Vladeasa / Kalota-havas
From highway between Oradea and Cluj - photo by SzaniUherkovich
Access routes Trailhead at Marks Destinations
Oradea-Beiuş-BudureasaOradea-Bucea-Bulz-Valea Iadului
Stâna de Vale
yellow dotblue dotred stripe
Piatra Calului - Belvedere RaiaSăritoarea IeduţuluiIzvorul Minunilor, Poienni summit (western part)
Oradea-Valea Draganului
Canton Ciripa
yellow stripe
Cascada Moara Dracului - Buteasa massif - Piatra Tâlharului(central part)
Cluj-Napoca - Huedin - Rogojel/Rachitele
Vlădeasa hut
red dot
Vlădeasa massif - Pietrele Albe/Cascada Vălul Miresei(eastern part)

Red Tape & Camping

Situated at 1430 m, the Vlădeasa hut is the only one offering accommodation in the mountains. But you may pitch your tent almost everywhere, although the main ridge of the Vlădeasa Mountains forms the boundary of the Apuseni Nature Park, in which there are some nature reserves, such as Pietrele Albe, Buteasa and Cârligatele.

Free campingFree camping

 

Weather & Rescue Service

Meteo stationWeather station on the summit of Vlădeasa

Maps & Books

Online maps

Paper map

Books

Sunset
Sunset taken by SzaniUherkovich

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
peterbud

peterbud - Apr 28, 2008 9:58 am - Voted 10/10

Online weather info

Actual weather is available for Vladeasa peak.

SzaniUherkovich

SzaniUherkovich - May 6, 2011 4:03 pm - Voted 10/10

1836 m

According to this page it's only 1430 m high. But isn't it 1836 m high?

yatsek

yatsek - Oct 4, 2016 5:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: 1836 m

Now it is :-)

SzaniUherkovich

SzaniUherkovich - Oct 5, 2016 3:05 am - Voted 10/10

Re: 1836 m

WOW!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.