Volcan Irazu

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 10.20000°N / 84.3°W
Additional Information Route Type: Class 1
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

There are several options for getting to Irazu. Most people take a guided tour. This will cost between $24 and $40 depending on the services. Every hotel or hostel in San Jose doubles as a travel agency, so don’t worry about finding a trip to book!

If you want to visit Irazu independent of a tour, Buses Metropoli (272-0651) operates weekend (no weekday service except for peak season and holidays) bus service to Irazu. The bus leaves from San Jose at Avenida 2, Calle 1 & 3 across from the Gran Hotel Costa Rica at 8 am. The fare is $5 round trip. The bus leaves Irazu at 1 pm for San Jose.

You can also hire a taxi for $25 from San Jose, but unless you have a group of people, its better just to go on the guided tour.

Route Description

Since there is a road to the summit, there isn’t too much hiking here. There is a 1 km (.6 mile) long trail from the summit parking lot that goes to a look out of some of the craters. There is also a longer trail, marked by a pedestrian sign that gets closer to the crater as well.


Essential Gear

Temperatures on the summit of Irazu have varied between –3C (27F) and 17 C (63F), so take a jacket. Don't forget to take a camera.


Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.