W circuit with child

W circuit with child

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 51.10007°S / 72.76245°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Mar 10, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking

Trip Report

This was an incredible journey, and to look back and think that we hiked (most of) the 'W' with our little one is even more incredible. We decided to go in the late summer with the hope that there would be (a) fewer people and (b) less of the legendary maelstrom wind. We bet wrong on (a) but were fortunate that (b) was a good bet ... or maybe we just lucked into it. Our 'W' was more of a stubby one. We didn't finish out the tops of the legs, but for having done most of this with a child, we were not at all displeased. The hardest thing about it was the fact that we were the only ones at the time with a child. Though she was very young (1 1/2) and not necessarily into toys and the like, it was still tough for her. I think we made the best of it and I think she had as good a time as a little one in Patagonia could have. The other side of this is that the staff at the refugios really enjoyed her presence (many had kids of their own back in Pta Arenas or other points north or south), aided by the fact that we actually speak Spanish (sadly, most visitors to Torres del Paine do not). We like to think that we've inspired timid soon-to-be or current parents to venture out in the world with their kids. Certainly precautions are necessary, but that is no reason to stay home!

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.