W face/ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.19630°N / 122.9739°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walkup- class 2 (ridge), scramble- 3rd to 4th class (face)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the approach directions from the 'Getting There' section from the first page. The trail starts halfway between where the trailhead loop splits off from the dirt road and the loop begins.

Route Description


Vital stat's:

· Elevation gain: 2,100 ft.
· Length: 7 miles
· Difficulty: Class 2 (ridge) or Class 4 (face)

From the trailhead, go approximately 1 mile, at which point you cross a (possibly seasonal) drainage . Go L when the trail forks shortly thereafter, then go approximately another 5 minutes, where you will see the sign indicating the side trail leading to North Yolla Bolly Lake (left from the main trail). Continue on the main trail past this turn-off. At 2.5 miles there will be a trail junction on the saddle between Black Rock Mountain & North Yolla Bolly- take a L, heeding the sign indicating ‘North Yolla Bolly Station Spring.’ At .5 mile, there should be a meadow, campsite, & potable water coming from a pipe. From this point pick your way up to the summit- this should not exceed class 2.

For a more exciting alternative, climb the peak's W face. This is composed of numerous gullies, buttresses, & arêtes. Simply go cross-country when beneath the face & head for it (the standard route goes around the right side of it). Various gullies exit to the mellower slopes above, & are mostly class 3/4. As long as you don't put too much weight (or trust) on (in) a small hold, the rock is fairly good. As evidenced by the large amount of debris ascending the gullies, however, there is plenty of not-that-great rock! Exercise your judgment & caution here. Fifth class alternatives seem possible as well, especially on the numerous buttresses.

Essential Gear


Sturdy hiking boots. Enough water to get you through the hike, as the wet stuff can be limited late in the season. Camera for the great summit views!

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.