Walking on the glacier to the Grand Capucin

Walking on the glacier to the Grand Capucin

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 6, 2008
Seasons Season: Summer
Grand Capucin - 3838 m - Photo by Hiltrud Liu
Walking on the glacier to the Grand Capucin
  • Early in the sunny morning on the 6th of August, 2008, our little group reached Helbronner by cable car from La Palud, near to Courmayeur in Italy. The young and kind guida alpina di Courmayeur Anna Torretta led me and a second person, an Italian companion, from Punta Helbronner (3462 m) in direction of the Grand Capucin. With rope, crampons, ice axe or sticks we started our walk on the Glacier du Géant.
Gigantic crevasse
Grand Capucin
Our guida alpina
  • Descending from Pt Helbronner we continued the route beneath the Tour Ronde. Descending and ascending… On the way we passed big and gigantic crevasses. Sometimes we crossed a bergschrund, at all events we paid attention and took a long step over the obstacle!
  • For a time the sun was shining and we saw a big granite tower in the sun, the Grand Capucin, in the background the Mont Blanc in majesty. On the way we had a good view of Tour Ronde, Mont Maudit and Mont Blanc du Tacul. We looked at the mighty Aiguille Verte and the wonderful Dent du Géant. At the moment, when I saw the beauty of Mont Blanc and Grand Capucin, I understood very well Rahel's climbing (2004) in this mountain area.
Aiguille Verte
Dent du Géant
Panoramic View of Mont Blanc - Photo by Hiltrud Liu
  • But the weather changed quickly, more clouds were gathering above the Mont Blanc. Our careful guida alpina Anna remembered us that there were very dark clouds over the Chamonix valley, surely it was raining in Chamonix and perhaps there was snowfall on the Mont Blanc. Only a short time remained to take a photo of the Grand Capucin and the surroundings, then we decided to go back to the new Torino Hut. We didn’t like to finish our walking in a thunderstorm on the glacier.
  • Séracs du Géant- Photo from om
What a view - 6.8.2008
Our guida alpina Anna Toretta
Our Italian companion
  • Panorama Rochefort Ridge - Grand Capucin - Mont Blanc du Tacul and Mont Blanc (Photo stitch by Rick B - Photo by Hiltrud Liu)
  • View of Géant GlacierShow labels
    • Dent du Géant - Mont Blanc (Jean Antoine Link, ca 1830))
    Dent du géant - Mont blancOn the Glacier du Géant
  • Tour Ronde - Kuffner Ridge (Photo by Hiltrud Liu)


  • Comments

    Post a Comment
    Viewing: 1-2 of 2
    markhallam

    markhallam - Aug 26, 2013 2:27 am - Voted 10/10

    A memorable day!

    But cut short by the approaching thunderstorm... you should go back there on a day when the weather is better.

    Lovely photos of an amazing place.

    best wishes, ,Mark

    hiltrud.liu

    hiltrud.liu - Aug 26, 2013 8:59 am - Hasn't voted

    Re: A memorable day!

    Many thanks, Mark. It was a wonderful experience and a beautiful day on the Glacier du Géant ...

    Viewing: 1-2 of 2


    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Grand CapucinTrip Reports