Web Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
tcingrum

tcingrum - Aug 13, 2018 2:32 pm Date Climbed: Aug 14, 2018

P3 traverse.  Sucess!

The start of an airy ridge traverse with Defiance to close it out.

markhadland@gmail.com

markhadland@gmail.com - Jun 29, 2018 12:53 am Date Climbed: Jun 28, 2018

Web Mountain  Sucess!

Decided to do the P3 trail, traverse to Web Mountain, connect with Dirty Harry's Peak trail and loop back to the Ira Spring Trail Head. The trail starts out as advertised, and upon the junction with the DHB trail, cuts up to the right for about four switchbacks, gaining in elevation and steepness. The trail gradually steepens, trekking poles and hands are useful, until above the treeline, the grade lessens and there is a nice uphill hike up rock and heather to the summit. Wildflower are blooming and the field is full of bear grass, similar to the hike up Bandera Mountain. The trial is challenging, very similar in steepness and qualty to the old Mailbox Peak trail. It was cloudy and foggy and visibility was limited near the top. The dropoff at the other side of peak ridge is steep. No summit register was located. We opted to go for Web Mountain, keeping mostly left of the ridge, sometimes walkign the ridge. There is a faint trail at times, and the rocks and heather provide a decent route to Web Mountain, the summit attained by keeping left of the major summit blocks and scampering up. There is a register there and it was signed. We opted to continue, and found a gully route (followed breadcrumbs using the Cairn app which was helpful given the limited visibility - about 200 feet), and descended a series of talus slopes and steep dirt along the forested parts (~1500 feet descent) until we descended upon a small lake that feeds the Granite lakes and eventually connects with the Web Mountain trail, finally connecting to the Dirty Harry's Peak trail - a boot path. We missed the initial trail, and bushwacked for a few hundred yards until finding the path down - the reverse route would be interesting to follow, and find a better route up Web Mountain. Route finding was challenging and we generally went down the talus slopes toward the lake - with better visibility, this would have been much easier. Overall a great route, as we are seeking a traverse from Mailbox to Defiance and beyond. I highly recommend the PPP trail and summit. A great trail in the fog and will be great in better weather. Be ready for a challenging hike.

SloJay

SloJay - Jun 26, 2018 8:59 pm Date Climbed: May 12, 2018

Elderado lite  Sucess!

What a ridge walk. I had a blast

Arkitekt

Arkitekt - Dec 5, 2012 1:21 am

Re: Web Gem!!

2 years later that cairn is still there. That is impressive. Did you locate the Geo-cache beneath it? Doesn't seem like many people climb this peak.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Nov 29, 2012 3:02 am Date Climbed: Nov 27, 2012

Good views  Sucess!

Hiked up with EK...good way to spend a morning in late November

EastKing

EastKing - Nov 27, 2012 9:02 pm Date Climbed: Nov 27, 2012

Web Gem!!  Sucess!

Conditions were far from perfect with in many spots slush, slop and tree wells. The actual scrambling is no harder than Class 2 but the sloppy snow made for this to be a tougher climb than it should have been. But we got the summit and the cairn on the summit is still in tact. TR coming soon.

Arkitekt

Arkitekt - Jul 3, 2011 2:10 am Date Climbed: Jul 23, 2010

Dust Fest  Sucess!

After getting above the tree line it was very dry and I had a nice layer of dust covering my legs when I got back to the parking lot.

Cascade Scrambler

Cascade Scrambler - Sep 27, 2010 10:15 pm Date Climbed: Sep 11, 2010

Stupid easy  Sucess!

Ascended via the old trail. It's a shame the old trail has been abandoned- it's in great shape. Shortly after popping out of the trees, instead of ascending up to P3 and then west to Web, I just traversed northwest until the summit was reached. Didn't see a register on Web. Made it down in super fast time.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Web Mountain' main page