West Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.05130°N / 107.1542°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Harder Skinning on Snow
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the easiest and most popular way to climb Whitehouse Mountain. It involves 1.5 miles and 3,275 vertical feet of elevation gain. The west face makes a good ski and snowboard descent, but the northwest face makes for a better and longer (4,000 vertical feet) glisse descent if a car shuttle is used.

Getting There

Drive Highway 133 from Paonia or Carbondale. Turn east onto a well-signed road leading to Marble on the north side of McClure Pass. Drive 6 miles to a stop sign in Marble. Turn right onto Quarry Road. Drive 2.6 miles and park at the base of Mud Gulch. If no parking is available here, park at the Windy Corner Trailhead an additional 0.5 miles up the road.

Route Description

From the base of Mud Gulch on Quarry Road, drop down to Yule Creek. Cross Yule Creek on a bridge and continue up the Jeep road to about 10,800 feet. Kevin Baker states this Jeep road is private property. Gain the west ridge and follow it to the summit. Either descend your ascent route or glisse the northwest face. The northwest face is an advanced route with a maximum slope angle just under 45 degrees. The west face is also an advanced glisse route, but with a maximum slope angle of about 40 degrees.
Whitehouse Mountain s West Face and Northwest Face RoutesWhitehouse West Face and Northwest Face Routes

Essential Gear

Skis, skins, avalanche safety gear and knowledge during snow months.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.