West Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.85630°N / 118.3033°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Follow the Taylor Meadow trail to the saddle west of the peak (directions on the main page). Follow the broad west ridge up to the summit, bypassing any difficulties on the south side. The ridge is no more than class 1-2.

For those linking up Rockhouse Peak and Taylor Dome, the 7.5' doesn't show a trail connecting the Manter trail and Taylor Meadow trails; however, a faint trail does exist. As of May 2004, the junction was signposted.

Route Description

You should be able to follow easy class 1-2 terrain all the way up the base of the peak's twin summits. (Making the mistake of heading too far south will take you to more difficult rock, which does not lead to the summit). The leftmost (northern) summit is the highpoint; it may also be recognised by the presence of a small cross. A mildly exposed ledge leads up and left from the saddle between the twin summits. Follow the ledge up to its end, where you will find a short class 3 scramble that takes you to the summit.

Essential Gear

None required.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.