West Slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.64370°N / 118.4825°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Leave Colby Lake and hike up slabs and ramps that loosely follow the creek that enters the lake from the east. The creek forks after a tenth of a mile. Take the north fork of the creek until reaching Lake 11,522. Follow the lake around the northern shore then head northeast for 1/2 mile to the base of the mountain.

Route Description

At approximately 1/2-mile northeast of Lake 11,522, ascend a series of class 2 ledges up a ridge that leads to the West Slope. Eventually, you will reach a fairly flat area at 12,200 feet. Continue up several hundred feet of sand, then talus, to the summit. This is a better descent than ascent route.

Do not climb the chute at the west end of the slope—this will increase the difficulty substantially.

Essential Gear

None required.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.





Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.