western ridge via El Mezquital

western ridge via El Mezquital

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 20.43731°N / 99.0599°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: some class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

This approach is from the hamlet of El Mezquital, near the western foot of the ridge upon which Cerro Cebadero sits (see getting there and away, in the main peak section). The ridge reaches a low point here, before ending in a gap which rises again to the West as Cerro Temboo over the settlement of Ocotza. That gap is also the border with the municipality of Ixmiquilpan.

This approach has easier vehicle access (at least for the last part) and the added benefit of allowing you to hike much more of the scenic ridge, as well as attaining it at a lower elevation (since there are no trails up and down the ridge, the quicker you attain it the easier will be your ascent). From the village, meet your guide and park vehicles. There are some scant dirt trails here, which quickly peter out into rock as you begin to ascend the ridge.
nopales de cerro, Valle del Mezquital, Hidalgo, Mexiconopales

About half way up the ridge, the route passes near an interesting test-mine cave dating from many years ago, which may be safely walked into (it’s bored through solid rock about 50M straight into the side of the hill; bring a headlamp). Most locals should be familiar with how to find the mine. There are actually several others up here as well, but this straight in one is the safest and easiest to access.
biznaga de cerrobiznaga

From here to the ridge top, progress is almost perpetually challenged by the thorned flora indigenous to this dry country. Scrambling on rock generally does not exceed steep class 2 whichever route you follow, but is everywhere complicated by that dangerous vegetation. Route-finding up to (and down from) the ridge thus consists of trying to follow a path along loose dirt or rock that does not terminate in hazardous or impassable vegetation. One slip can be enough to poke out an eye.

Once upon the ridge, the views of the surround peaks and villages opens up before you, and the route to the summit is clear ahead. A brief class 2 scramble is required to attain the summit block. The ridge may be followed east of the summit to its end and highest elevation, actually about 60M higher than the summit of Cerro Cebadero. A cave beneath the summit may also be accessed upon your return.
Cerro Cebaderoview from the west: cave entrance visible as dark spot on lower summit block


To access the cave, drop down west from the summit to a small thumb of rock sticking out over the ridge. Find a path down from here towards the large cave entrance which is just visible from that point, somewhat obscured by a fair-sized tree and other plants. It’s all steep, the first part hand climbing down on rock (class 2+++), then the next part side-stepping the steep, loose vegetation to the entrance. You could also go down around the rock thumb, but you would have to lose and regain much more elevation and it wouldn’t be much easier. Either way, watch out for k’eña (snakes in Otomí) in the grass. Inside there are signs and smells of tsaxmagu (bats), but they must reside somewhere else as it’s not dark enough for them.
inner Bangandho valley from Cerro Cebadero summitview into inner Bangandho valley from summit

This route is longer than the direct approach via the fields of Yolotepec but is more scenic and some of the travel is less difficult. Total R/T distance is about 6-8km with appr. 400M+ of elevation gain.

Essential Gear

Jeans and boots are the smartest hiking wear, and sun glasses and a wide-brimmed hat are both also recommended. An early start is extremely helpful again the skin-destroying hyadi (sun) of this arid country. Bring as much dehe (water) as you will need, as there is rarely any to be found on this mountain.

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.