Wheeler Peak Comments

Rahel Maria LiuUntitled Comment

Rahel Maria Liu

Hi Josh,

nice page! But an info concerning the routes should be added as well as infos, phone numbers, links concerning infos about the area, camping, lodging and public transportation (train/bus). And the next bigger city with an airport should be named.

Regards, Rahel

3. Febr.: The routes overview is still missing ... ;o(...

3. Febr.: Morgan, I thought you might have some infos from the book just about routes in this NE-face. But if not, o.k. ... ;o).
Posted Jan 23, 2002 12:08 pm

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Rahel, this page has been adopted by me and updated. Pls. take a look. - Morgan
Posted Feb 2, 2002 3:59 pm

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

"Really the only recognized route up Wheeler is the standard route. There is likely some decent rock climbing on the quartzite of Wheeler's steep northeast face, though information on the internet is nonexistent."
Posted Feb 3, 2002 9:48 am

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Rahel,

Believe me, I looked hard in the past for information on this route. When I visited the park last year, I asked two or three park rangers what they knew about the NE face. All I could get was, "I know that a doctor from Reno comes here each year to climb it."

Last year, I spent about an hour searching on the internet for any reference to this wall...nothing.

I even joined a Yahoo club, Climbing around Nevada, but nobody there had any information.

So although this climb is not El Capitan, you still have the adventure of a near-first-ascent.

I found another obscure book on Amazon which may hold some promise, but sounds as if it is not geeared toward technical climbs.

I will keep looking, but I make no promises. If you find something, please post it.

Thanks,

Morgan
Posted Feb 3, 2002 3:52 pm

mpbroUntitled Comment

mpbro

Hmmm...OK, I'll take the route, but only because it seems you're trying to divest yourself of all mountains. :) I've never climbed it before.

All I can add to it is the extra winter approach, since we got chased away by darkness as we reached the summer trailhead!

Around the winter solstice, sunset happens extremely early in the day. And Wheeler itself blocks the sun after 1 pm or so.
Posted Feb 8, 2002 10:13 am

kironicUntitled Comment

kironic

Hey mpbro - Great photos! Very inspirational.

-kironic
Posted Mar 22, 2002 7:10 pm

RockhopperUntitled Comment

Rockhopper

Going to hike up Wheeler in september. As a foreigner (I'm living in Europe) the page contains all the information I need. So I can't imagine why the page has only a 3-star rating.
Posted Jul 24, 2002 6:02 am

ericdix - bannedUntitled Comment

ericdix - banned

good job
Posted Aug 9, 2002 1:13 pm

bigwallyUntitled Comment

bigwally

Good page. Hope that some members will contribute their knowledge of some of the climbing routes on the NE side. Thank you for putting together such a good page. It lets every reader know that you have "been-there and done-that" and that your information is very reliable. You have shared the insights that will make everyone's trip there much Safer and more Enjoyable !!!! Thank you for what you do !!!
Posted Jan 5, 2003 8:56 am

dsnellUntitled Comment

dsnell

Nice page. Lots of useful info.
Posted Apr 30, 2003 5:54 am

desainmeUntitled Comment

desainme

Born again page. I too had some trouble transfering some pictures. This is a rather nice mtn with its own park.
Posted Jul 27, 2003 12:47 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Very timely page as I hope to do it Oct 23rd, weather permitting. Snow has come to the Northwest so need to shift to lower latitudes.

Besides, this is the county highpoint for White Pine county. Thanks.
Posted Oct 16, 2003 10:09 pm

vertxUntitled Comment

vertx

Nice Page.
Posted Mar 25, 2004 11:46 am

tloganUntitled Comment

tlogan

Really nice page... that east face is something to behold!
Posted Apr 5, 2004 1:48 pm

Mark DoironI've Added a TR

Mark Doiron

My son, Curtis, and I hiked to the rock glacier on Wheeler Peak in August. I've attached a TR to the Wheeler Peak, NV page. If you think it's not appropriate (since it's not a typical summit route), let me know, or just detach. Thanks! --mark d.
Posted Sep 25, 2007 9:00 am

brucegRoute Information

bruceg

For more route information for Wheeler Peak (Northeast Face, Ice Couloirs, West Side, and more) see "Hiking and Climbing in the Great Basin National Park", by Michael Kelsey.
Posted Jul 30, 2009 7:11 pm