Where's the snow!? A late November romp in the Presis

Where's the snow!? A late November romp in the Presis

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.31353°N / 71.31157°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Nov 26, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Fall

The Situation

So, it was Thanksgiving weekend, I had a few days off from college, and my father and I were looking at possibilities for hikes. I considered several hikes in turn, and tossed each aside; none were The Perfect Hike I was seeking, and I was becoming desperate when I chanced on the Mt. Washington summit cams. Waitaminnit, I thought. No snow? Late November? Predicted summit highs in the thirties!? We might have a winner! Now having climbed Washington before--four years ago via the harrowing Huntington Ravine--I naturally decided on the next few tallest Presis. Time, weather and trail conditions permitting, my plans were to head up the Caps Ridge trail to Jefferson and follow the ridge over Adams to Madison. A quick consultation of sunset times ruled Madison out, but if all went according to plan, the former two peaks would be easily doable. The only real obstacles remaining were the road up to Jefferson Notch--which is not plowed in winter--and the possibility of ice on the Caps.

A Perfect Morning

A few days later, my dad and I departed a sleepy Hanover, New Hampshire at 4:30 and headed north into the mountains. Aside from a small incident involving my dad's less-than-perfect driving and a stop sign (sorry dad!) the trip was uneventful.

NOTE--I WILL CONTINUE THIS TRIP REPORT SOON. PLEASE STAY POSTED!

Comments

No comments posted yet.