Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 22, 2009
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

overview

Include text here.white mountain is a 14,252 foot peak just bwest of the california/nevada border, east of bishop.at the trail head there is camping and a bathroom.

getting there

getting there is simple.all you do is get on 395 and head to big pine.its south of bishop, and north of lone pine and independence.from big pine you go east on hwy 168 for awhile and turn at the first left up a long paved road to the brisslecone pine forest where the road turns to dirt.keep going untill you get to a bathroom and a closed gate.then get a good night sleep and walk to the top!

the hike

the hike is a 14 mile (7 up 7 down) round trip hike.the trail is actually a dirt road that is maintained only until the research station at 12500 feet, where it then becomes very rocky at times all the way to the top.it is bikeable but i dont suggest it unless your a pro because it is very hard to ride up some parts(i ditched my bike at the reaserch station. past the reaserch station the road steeply goes up a hill for a 1/4 mile then down into a low point before going through a few up and downs(that are really annoying cause you think your there and theres another hill ahead)then another dip, a half dosen switchbacks before you encounter the snowfield. near the top at about 13,800 there is a snow patch that forces everyone up a class two talus slope which really isnt hard, just dont go to fast!after that there is a few more switchbacks to the summit!have fun!


bishop-4500feet
brisslecone forest-10500feet
camping spot-11700feet
reaserch station-12500feet
summit-14,252

Comments

No comments posted yet.