Whitecrow Mountain - 7.31.2015

Whitecrow Mountain - 7.31.2015

Page Type Page Type: Album

These images are from a climb of Whitecrow Mountain in the northern Lewis Range of Glacier National Park on July 31st, 2015. I left the trailhead at Chief Mountain Customs with the intention of climbing Mount Cleveland via the route from Whitecrow Lake. However, hot weather and the ruthless bushwhack into the Whitecrow Lake drainage left me too worn out to safely attempt Cleveland. I opted instead to climb Whitecrow Mountain, a worthwhile objective in its own right featuring unique and beautiful views. 


Cathedral Peak & Peak 8848
Peak 8360, Cathedral Peak & Peak 8848 from the southeastern slopes of Whitecrow Mountain


Bear Carcass
I heard something buzzing nearby and thought I had stumbled onto a beehive. Then I looked about eight feet to my right and saw this dead bear. The buzzing was from the flies on the carcass. I didn't stick around for very long out of concern that something nearby could have been feeding on it. It appeared to be a yearling black bear. 

Whitecrow Lake With Peak 8848, South Stoney Indian & Middle Stoney Indian
Whitecrow Lake with Peak 8848, South Stoney Indian & Middle Stoney Indian. I had left the trailhead with the intention of climbing Mount Cleveland via the route from Whitecrow Lake, but I let that go when I got to this spot. It was very hot and the bushwhack to here had taken much time and energy. I was pretty close to the summit of Whitecrow Mountain at this point so I decided to go for it instead. 

Overhanging Summit Block of Whitecrow Mountain
The overhanging summit block of Whitecrow Mountain

Whitecrow Glacier
Whitecrow Glacier beneath the east face of Mount Cleveland & Kaiser Point

Glenns Lake, Mokowanis Lake, Margaret Lake & Ipasha Lake
Glenns Lake, Mokowanis Lake, Margaret Lake & Ipasha Lake from near the summit of Whitecrow Mountain 




Comments

No comments posted yet.