Viewing: 21-27 of 27 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

BobSmithThanks!

BobSmith

Glad you like it. That's a great area. We're going up there in late June to stay at Beartree Recreation Area. I hope to get some decent hiking done.
Posted Jun 6, 2006 1:44 am

CRiedel2Great Page!

CRiedel2

We drove up Whitetop on July 3, 2006 because we just happened to pass the sign for it. I plan on hiking it this summer since I know where the trailhead it now. Thanks :) Great views up there! Can't wait to post a trip report on it later this month I hope.
Posted Jul 5, 2006 1:43 pm

BobSmithThanks!

BobSmith

I was camping at Beartree Lake Recreation Area for five days ending on July 2. We had a great time and I did a lot of hiking, but didn't have the time to hit Whitetop again.
Posted Jul 5, 2006 8:27 pm

injektiloCool!

injektilo

The views from this one look pretty spectacular... those meadows are very scenic as well. Too bad about the cell towers though. Good job on the page.
Posted Jul 5, 2006 10:06 pm

BobSmithThanks!

BobSmith

Given a chance, someone will throw a cell tower or microwave tower or radio tower on the highest possible peak. It's depressing how many high peaks here in the South have towers on them. Even Clingman's Peak--one of the highest in the East--has a series of towers on it which prevents you from actually hitting the high point.
Posted Jul 6, 2006 2:33 am

JohnMcPikeTN-VA-NC Tri State Corner

JohnMcPike

Do you have any info on getting there?
Posted Jan 5, 2014 6:03 pm

BobSmithRe: TN-VA-NC Tri State Corner

BobSmith

To Whitetop Mountain or that corner of southwestern VA?

For the mountain it's this:

From I-77, take 21 north. Pass under the Blue Ridge Parkway, go through Sparta, and take 221 North toward Independence. Take 58 North toward Damascus. Pass Grayson Highlands State Park. Soon thereafter, take 600 on the right. In a couple of miles you will see a well marked forest service road on the left that leads up to the summit. One can take this road and drive all the way to the very top of the peak.

For that section of VA I'd just follow directions to Damascus, VA.
Posted Jan 5, 2014 8:19 pm