NelsonUntitled Comment

Nelson

Have driven past these mountains many times without knowing much about them. I've heard its gorgeous in there, and so it seems. Great page!
Posted Nov 21, 2004 1:40 pm

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Thank you Nelson. For both the vote and the spell checking....

Jon
Posted Nov 21, 2004 2:25 pm

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Thank you for the vote Allen. Much appreciated.

Jon Bradford
Posted Nov 21, 2004 3:05 pm

miztflipUntitled Comment

miztflip

I've been waiting for you to finish this one. I look directly at both Ptarmigan and Coon Hill from the chair in my living room.

Awesome Job.
Posted Nov 21, 2004 5:16 pm

miztflipUntitled Comment

miztflip

I've come to realize that size doesn't mean much when there are no other hikers around. Let me know when your up this way sometime. I'd be great to explore the Williams Fork with someone who knows it as well as you.
Posted Nov 22, 2004 11:07 pm

ColonelpyatUntitled Comment

Colonelpyat

Good one. I've read before (can't recall where) that Coon Hill is still doable from the parking area on the west side of the tunnel. Overnight parking isn't suggested but a note left on the dashboard explaining one's wherabouts and a word to a CDOT crew member should keep the tow truck away for day hikes.
Posted Nov 26, 2004 5:29 am

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

A new page in the vein of your successful Kenosha Mountains page. Nice job, Jon!

It's a little-known fact that there are actually two mountain groups called the Williams Fork Mountains in Colorado! The other lies in Moffat County. Those are named for the Williams Fork of the Yampa River, while your page highlights the range named for the Williams Fork of the Colorado River.

Do you know, Jon, if Coon Hill marks the eastern end of the Williams Fork Mountains? Or do Continental Divide peaks like Golden Bear Peak and Hagar Mountain make the cut?

BTW, there's a 2003 trip report on FourteenerWorld from Jennifer Roach for Hagar Mountain. She used the parking that you describe in the Coon Hill section to do her hike, so it would seem that that option is still available in the post-9/11 world.
Posted Nov 27, 2004 6:59 pm

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Ryan,

Thanks much for all the information... I most definately did not know there are two named "Williams Fork Mountains". How funny. I will correct the text to point out that these are the Colorado River's Williams Fork Mountains. I wonder if I could get an answer on the legality of parking at the tunnel directly from CDOT. Perhaps I should call. Anyway I realy appreciate your feedback. Thank you for helping.

Jon Bradford
Posted Nov 30, 2004 7:41 pm

The Lower MarmotUntitled Comment

The Lower Marmot

It's a great page, but one consistent typo I've noticed in your picture captions is the spelling of Ptarmigan as Ptamigan (missing an r) Thanks,

Sam
Posted Nov 28, 2004 6:51 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Terrific page. Well done
Posted Nov 28, 2004 10:32 pm

brentaUntitled Comment

brenta

Thanks for posting this well-written page on an interesting range. I look forward to visiting these mountains.

My usual proofreading report:

quiet gentle -> quite gentle

thist for water -> thirst for water

deffinately popular -> definitely popular

more obscure summit then -> more obscure summit than

Pine Beatle -> Pine Beetle

the gentle ridge-crest ... extend -> the gentle ridge-crest ... extends

to close to civilization -> too close to civilization
Posted Nov 30, 2004 12:53 am

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

brenta,

As always many thanks for your corrections. Hopefuly I am getting better. Its been a while since I've been graded on my banter.

Jon
Posted Nov 30, 2004 7:44 pm

Aaron JohnsonUntitled Comment

Aaron Johnson

Ta Da! Outstanding.
Posted Dec 1, 2004 12:47 am

BobSmithUntitled Comment

BobSmith

What a beautiful location.

Posted Dec 5, 2004 9:58 am

GrantUntitled Comment

Grant

Why, the whole range??
Posted Dec 5, 2004 7:58 pm

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Grant,

Because the range is of such small scale, consisting of nothing but rolling ridges with only a few notable highpoints (the three covered summits) and there was zero information on these mountains prior to this submission I chose to make it like I did. I did not think I would be exceeding the scope of a single page to describe this little range. If I get many complaints I will happily strip it down to a Ute Peak page. This wasn't some attempt to grab summits. I just wanted to maximize the efficiency of my efforts and address an area that had previously been completely ignored. The Kenosha Mountains page I had done previously is in the same vein. Is that also a problem?

Thank you.

Jon Bradford
Posted Dec 5, 2004 8:13 pm

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Thanks again for voting.

Jon
Posted Dec 6, 2004 8:26 pm

Brad SniderUntitled Comment

Brad Snider

Can't believe I missed seeing this peak before. Great addition and very complete!
Posted Jan 14, 2005 5:25 am