Windsor Trail/Southeast Ridge Route

Windsor Trail/Southeast Ridge Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.83220°N / 105.7575°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike in summer/basic snow climb in winter
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the trailhead at the Santa Fe Ski area, take the Windsor Trail (Trail 254) for approximately 6 miles until it intersects with trail 251, the trail leading to Lake Katherine. Follow Trail 251 to the top of the SE ridge of Santa Fe Baldy. The route to the summit begins at the top of the ridge.

Route Description


From the top of the ridge, leave Trail 251 and follow the winding ridge Northwest all the way to the summit of Baldy. From the time you leave trail 251, you should reach the summit in an hour or less. No technical difficulties are found, but keep an eye on the weather as thunderstorms are common in the summer, especially in the afternoon. The route leaves the trees near the top of the ridge, so you are exposed to lightning and the elements from here on out.

In winter time, the ridge is usually pretty safe from avalanches because the wind scours it free of loose snow, leaving a pretty hard crust. However, beware of the approach to the ridge, especially if it is in the lee of the wind. A few sections of the ridge are a little steep and make for a fun snow climb in winter.

Essential Gear


In winter and spring, be prepared for a great deal of snow, wind, and cold weather. Crampons might be necessary for a few short sections if the snow is crusty. Ski poles or an ice axe are probably a good idea for balance. Avalanche awareness is a good idea if there has been significant snow fall. Snowshoes or skis are necessary for the approach.

Water is available along much of the Windsor trail, but should be purified.

Bring rain gear in summer.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
C Wenker

C Wenker - Apr 3, 2011 8:35 am - Hasn't voted

Name

It's actually "Winsor"

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.