Winter on the Way in the Wichitas

Winter on the Way in the Wichitas

Sometimes serendipity steps in and gives you a great shot--and you didn't bring along the right lens! I had arrived in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, OK several hours before my scheduled meeting with Alan Ellis to climb Sunset Peak. I was getting a few photos of Bat Cave Mountain when I saw these geese headed directly for the very gibbous moon. Sure enough, they lined up just dandy. Unfortunately, because I was preparing for a hike, and because I still had the safari top on the Jeep, I hadn't brought along anything valuable that I wouldn't hike with--including a long telephoto. This was shot with a 24-85 mm lens, then cropped to get the image you see. There are almost as many geese outside of the photo as you see in it--it's always a pretty cool sight to see their migration. Shot in November 2008.

Mark Doiron
on Nov 17, 2008 7:54 am
Image Type(s): Wildlife
Image ID: 464007

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
silversummit

silversummit - Nov 17, 2008 8:32 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting!

Mark - Love the moon in this shot and the scene almost has a 3-D effect when first viewed (at least with my old eyes.) We saw lots of geese on our bike trip this weekend also, even in the heavy rains on the C & O Canal and Western Rail Trail.
Kathy

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Nov 17, 2008 9:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting!

Thanks for having a look, Silversummit. Biking in the rain, hun? Scouting event? We're headed for a climbing/rappelling campout at Robber's Cave State Park in the near the southeast corner of the state this next weekend. Hike (bike!) on! --mark d.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Dec 2, 2008 1:40 pm - Voted 10/10

This should have been

photo of the month, or at least photo of the week.

Happy Hiking,
Marc

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 3, 2008 8:16 am - Hasn't voted

Re: This should have been

Thanks for the nice comment, Marc. I was sure wishing I had my long lens for this picture. As is, I'm happy that a few folks found it a good image of the late fall wilderness experience in Oklahoma. --mark d.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4